To all Aussies and Kiwis..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have vifa P17WJ-00-08's 4 off, matched out of old duntech's
now 4 sep speakers
using with vifa D25AG-35-06's
these look interesting for the 2 main speakers
but i thought ribbons were very directional (one spot only for best soundstage)
have you tried them yet?
any comparisons with other tweeters?

andy graddon
I only have trade prices available?
compared to D25AG-35-06's

awpagan said:

any comparisons with other tweeters?

compared to D25AG-35-06's

Other people who have used ribbons would have to comment on the sound comparison. I haven't had the chance yet.

Prices compared to Vifa D25 ? ok I can do rough ball park figures comparison on a "per driver" price, based on listed trade prices,
(remember that they sell them in matched pairs.)

Fountek JP3.0 is just over twice the price of D25 each,

Fountek NeoCD3.0 just over 1.5 times the price each

Fountek Pro5i, about 6 times the price each.

Hope that gives a rough idea !

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
eratic???? it looks pretty damn good to me!!!! probably about +2 -1.5 db 2K to 20K :) not too shabby IMO (and some of that could have been baffle diffraction effects.... depending on whether they tested in an infinite baffle or not.

the impedance curve is very impressive too!!! and the waterfall what can I say!!!!!!

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
mike.e said:
Gradual DI is more important to me than flat FR

If they didnt cheat on the waterfall then its good. Ribbons tend to be good here though. Note the LF resonance in the waterfall = xover >3khz ?

Im interested in their dispersion vs frequency.

Maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but what is DI ;)

I noticed that the off axis response was conspicuous by its absence!!

Tony.

hdkhang said:
Andy, you mention trade prices, what does it take to be considered a trader? I noticed that your profile shows you as a Uni Student so was wondering if you yourself get trade prices.

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang

You basically need an ABN and a business name, and it doesn't hurt if you can show you are actually manufacturing or similar in some form or other ! ie trying to make a profit.

ARGOS Audio has been around for nearly 7 years (or is it 8 now?)
with a near zero balance sheet !

Maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but what is DI
I noticed that the off axis response was conspicuous by its absence!!
Tony.

Any cone radiator will become more directive with increasing frequency.

From what ive heard ribbons tend to have rather narrow vertical dispersion(probably a good thing)but im not sure about their horizontal directivity vs frequency.

Directivity Index
The directivity factor D may be defined as the ratio of the intensity of a source in some specified direction (usually along the acoustic axis of the source) to the intensity at the same point in space due to an omnidirectional point source with the same acoustic power. Mathematically, the directivity factor may be written as

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
(9)
Pressure are rms values. The directivity factor indicates how much more effectively a directional source concentrates its available acoustic power into a preferred direction.
The directivity index DI is simply 10 times the log of the directivity factor.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.gmi.edu/~drussell/GMI-Acoustics/Directivity-Frame.html
or jblpro.com

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
thanks Mike :), my brain hurts after looking at that link ;)

so by gradual DI you are talking about a slow transition from being omnidirectional to directional, ie a gentle rolloff off axis compared to a steep rolloff off axis, with increasing freq. yes??

Tony.

Andy Graddon said:

You basically need an ABN and a business name, and it doesn't hurt if you can show you are actually manufacturing or similar in some form or other ! ie trying to make a profit.

ARGOS Audio has been around for nearly 7 years (or is it 8 now?)
with a near zero balance sheet !

That sounds like something to really look into, the prices are about where i'd expect given what we normally pay for things that are imported despite however attractive our exchange rate becomes. And shipping from the US is rather expensive, like half the cost of the components. And then we have duties. I guess I'll have to put off starting in this hobby until I explore in greater detail the best route to take, I was going to start a company for myself anyway given that I'm a contractor, and was considering selling some of my experiments and the like to fund further speaker building experiments.

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang

thank you andy

really should hear them first.

will have investigate further.

Wintermute, about +2 -1.5 db 2K to 20K

which graph were you looking at?

waterfall
time, db whats the front row?

off axis responce?

fountek are not rally giving us all the info, or am i missing something?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.