Winding Inductors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
noodle_snacks said:
I don't mean to sound dumb, but what sort of wire should i use, and any suggestions where to get it?

Hi Noodle Snacks,

Don't worry. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Just occasional dumb answers from over-smart people.
If everyone was supposed to know everything from the beginning, there would not be a way to ask, and the forum wouldn't be what it is. :)
We all start somewhere, and we're here to learn and share knowledge.
(Hey, isn't that what life is all about...? :idea: )

Cheers,
Jennice

noodle_snacks said:
I don't mean to sound dumb, but what sort of wire should i use, and any suggestions where to get it?

Go to your local electric motor rewinders, and ask them to run off a little winding wire onto a spool - cheapest way to get it, as they buy it in LARGE quantities. This wire is solid copper with enamel coating. For reasonably high power handling and low resistance, 1mm or 1.25mm wire is good for series inductors, and you can go down to 0.8mm for shunt inductors.

Cheers
Graeme

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hmmmm I was searching for this today myself, found two sources here in Sydney searching yellow pages with "magnet wire" but hobart (or tasmania for that matter) draws a blank, as does motor rewinders....

if you are doing really small value coils you could get away with some enamelled copper wire from jaycar or DSE, but the length they sell it in is too short for bigger coils.

Tony.

The local motor rewinders here buy the wire in 10 or 20kg reels. I have a couple of small reels and just ask them to "fill it up", which they do on their lathe - they charge based on the weight, which ends up MUCH cheaper than the Dick Smith / Jaycar option.

For Hobart, a Yellow Pages search brought up Star Electric, 13 Sunderland St, Derwent Park 7009

Cheers
Graeme

Try drop theese guys a line, they may be able to tell you where you can get Synflex products in Australia info@synflex.de

Magnet wire is not just magnet wire. The difference in quality between the best and the worst is huge. Synflex provides top quality for a fair price. Since you need so little of it, I would not bother with anything else.

Winding inductors is very hard on the coating, and it gets even worse when handling the inductors after winding without coating them, so go for the best quality you can possibly find if Synflex draws blank in Australia.

Magura :)

Ok, After going to a few electrical wiring and other cable shops i went to the star electric place, where i did meet some success, I managed to get 2 kilos of 1.32mm wire for $AU16.

Now i have to actually wind the things. Any suggestions as for what to use as a bobbin and is there any specific way i have to wind them (eg can i just set up a jig to rotate the bobbin and move the wire back and forth or do i need to go back to the opposing side each layer?)

noodle_snacks said:
Ok, After going to a few electrical wiring and other cable shops i went to the star electric place, where i did meet some success, I managed to get 2 kilos of 1.32mm wire for $AU16.

Now i have to actually wind the things. Any suggestions as for what to use as a bobbin and is there any specific way i have to wind them (eg can i just set up a jig to rotate the bobbin and move the wire back and forth or do i need to go back to the opposing side each layer?)

Just go back and forth. Make the winding nice and snug. Do a few windings more than calculated the first time and cut of untill the value is what you want. Use an RCL meter to do the measurement.

noodle_snacks said:
How important is it that the windings of the inductor are really even? I am getting them roughly right but the wires tend to slip past each other a bit

The wires of each layer will not be directly on top of each other which is okay, that the way it is. I have not noticed difference between hand wound and machine wound.

Thanks everyone, using speaker workshop to measure them and get them exact i have managed to make two 0.47mh and one 1mh inductor so far with what seems like success. I still have a few more to make for my inital crossovers to try and i will have plenty of wire left afterwards for other xos. I have made a huge saving over buying inductors, except for the time required to wind them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.