KEF B200 Sp1039

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just holed the diaphragm on one of my KEF B200 SP1039 drivers in my proacs....its a long story involving a repair to an audax HD12x9 tweeter (that didnt work), moving the speaker, it slipping out its cutout and pop.

sad sad day. im now hunting around for a replacement however dont seem to be having much success. was thinking i may just change the drivers instead. wilmslow suggest a peerless model however without getting hold of a frequency response graph for the B200 im at a bit of an impass.

if got a one sided data sheet with info but without a plot its going to be hard to match or make accurate decisions.
has anyone got a copy they could email me....or point me in the right place for getting one.

failing that any experience regarding replacements for these would be nice too.

thanks.

I got a pair of SP1014 that I do not have any need for...

The problem with SP1014 and other bextrene drivers like the ones from Audax is that they have a rising frequency response say +5 dB from 1 to 4 kHz, while modern plastic drivers do not

All measurements using a XTZ Room Analyzer II, with the driver in a 50x30cm baffle/box.
KEB B200 SP1014, with exellent driver matching
KEF-B200-SP1014-FR.png

The Audax HDB25H2C12, with one of the drivers buzzing the other OK
HD20B25H2C12.png

Peerless 850126 (PP cone and inverted dome)
850126.png

Peerless 831862 PP cone and mesh/fabric dome
831862.png

Replacing KEF B200 with modern drivers may work if used say below 500 Hz but above that crossover has to be redone.

Laurie Fincham head of R&D at KEF, stated as I recall that them main advantage of Bextrene (and later plastics) was consistency. Then things like frequency peaks could be dealt with in the crossover. As of today 30 years later paper is still around, as is other material as metal alloys.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.