Phase plug necessity in horns/waveguides

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is a phase plug required to minimize/eliminate cancellation if the throat size of the horn/waveguide is the same as the diameter of the diaphragm of the [compression] tweeter?

Also,

Is there a function with which one can determine the necessity of a phase plug whose variables are diaphragm size, throat size, and frequency? i.e. a 2" compression driver with a 1" throat will require a phase plug at x kHz.

Let's say necessity is defined as when cancellation causes over 2-3 dB drops on an otherwise perfectly flat frequency response.

In one specific case I've been playing with, a center exit from the compression chamber gives a nocth around c/d where d is the outer diameter of the compression chamber (this is all round, axisymmetric). In my case I'm 3dB down a bit above c/d/2, though. How you tune your front chamber will also effect this, as will the breakup of the diaphragm, and maybe your compression ratio (I'm using a high compression ratio). In my example, I pushed the notch higher by using a single slot phase plug, and even higher to ~2*c/d by going to a 2 slot phase plug. Beyond that, you are probably into diminishing returns, as the diaphragm will be breaking up unless you have an exotic material.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.