OT: Speakers from the 1970's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2005, 04:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Default OT: Speakers from the 1970's

Hello everyone. I remember in the late 70's maybe early 80's, one of my friends had a pair of speakers that the front baffle changed colors with the frequency. Not sure if it was the cloth itself or lights behind it. Does anyone remember these? Do you remember who made them?
Old 16th September 2005, 07:00 PM   #2
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Was the use of illegal substances invilved?
Old 16th September 2005, 07:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: OT: Speakers from the 1970's

Quote:
Originally posted by 69stingray
Hello everyone. I remember in the late 70's maybe early 80's, one of my friends had a pair of speakers that the front baffle changed colors with the frequency. Not sure if it was the cloth itself or lights behind it. Does anyone remember these? Do you remember who made them?
You might be thinking of the Radio Shack "Color Organ", which had coloured lights behind a textured plexiglass window set in a woodgrain box, like a speaker of the time would be. Did they look like this?:

http://www.shiras.net/colororgan
Old 16th September 2005, 07:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Those are the ones!

And no, there was not "substances" involved, at least on my part. They came up in conversation the other day and everyone looked at me like I had 3 heads.
Old 16th September 2005, 08:13 PM   #5
bzdang is offline bzdang  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hah! Some memories! Mine was homemade, with colored 150w floodlamps, quite the fire hazard. Used mother's favorite mixing bowl to etch the pcb. The homemade strobe light was good too, especially when mounted above a billiards table.
Old 17th September 2005, 01:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 69stingray
Those are the ones!

And no, there was not "substances" involved, at least on my part.
were you the one who spinned the Beatle's records backwards to hear "Paul is dead now".

i keep telling my wife it was oregano.
Old 19th December 2012, 04:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default It was Tipper Gore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
were you the one who spinned the Beatle's records backwards to hear "Paul is dead now".
That was Al Gores wife Tipper. She spent at least 2 yrs. doing that, trying to find Backwards Demonic Phrases hidden in the music.

I was always told that it was the Beatles "St. Pepper" album, & the phrase was, "Turn Me On Dead Man"

MLStrand56

Hide this!Advertise here!