Driver placement on baffle - advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm doing a set of 6.5's woof and fabric dome tweet in 1 cubic foot boxes. What are the general rules of thum on placement of the drivers.

My default is to place the woof off center so as not to assist any symetry for backwave nodes and the baffle step. I would put the tweeter in the center of the top placed such that it is surrounded by as much flat real estate as possible to create more of an infinite baffle from a high frequency perspective, and avoiding interference with the woofer (which I know will happen anyway).

Maybe its better to put the woof and tweet close together?? Thanks for the help.

General rules of thumb are that the woofer is placed centrally, and the tweeter is offset to one side (just look at what's on the market) Woofer offset is unnecessary as it has little effect due to the wave lengths involved and towards the top end it starts to beam anyway.
Tweeter offset does cause assymmetry in the horizontal dispersion which *may* affect imaging so IMHO it's better to keep it centred & have an inch or more roundover around the drivers, and/or a baffle of unusual shape.
Generally best to keep the drivers in a 2-way as close together as possible to reduce vertical off-axis interference issues.

Attachments

• delta_sat.jpg
    delta_sat.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 237
Also read a bit about the "baffle step" and experiment with simulation software on how the placement affects it. For example you can try "The Edge" in my signature. Some placements result in smoother responses that are easier to compensate for in the crossover filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.