Mainstream brand joins Dipole club..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They seem to be on the right path:

"Jamo also had to design a new midrange driver to fulfil the R 909 brief. Employing a patented Neodymium magnet arrangement, this unit uses a magnesium cone for its stiffness and low weight, both vital qualities for dynamic response. The result is a cone that can deliver output up to 9kHz without sonic break-up, a recipe for an amazingly transparent reproduction of vocals."

This is much better than crossing a tweeter at low (2~3k) frequencies, right on the voice band.
This looks like a real mid driver, because almost every mid driver out there is more like a woofer.
A fullrange driver for the midband is always an option...
This is one of the secrets for the midband coherence of the good old Epos speakers: those woofers were almost fullranges, used without crossover, no breakup. First-order crossover on the tweeter.

As for the baffle... it's a too 'sci-fi' looking for my taste.:D

It sure looks like an Excel, probably a custom http://www.seas.no/PDF data excel 05/W15CH001E0037.pdf
Carlos "can deliver" to 9k does not necessarily mean crossed at 9k. Its probably crossed much lower if it's competently designed - which I'm sure it is.
Carlos can you post some off axis measurements of you Epos'?
Or do you know of any magazine tests you could direct me to?
I'm interested to see how those things you seem to like quite a bit measure. I'm not terribly familar with Epos. What sort of drive units do they use? Thanks.

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA said:
Carlos "can deliver" to 9k does not necessarily mean crossed at 9k. Its probably crossed much lower if it's competently designed - which I'm sure it is.
Carlos can you post some off axis measurements of you Epos'?
Or do you know of any magazine tests you could direct me to?
I'm interested to see how those things you seem to like quite a bit measure. I'm not terribly familar with Epos. What sort of drive units do they use? Thanks.

cheers,

AJ

My Epos ES11 uses a 1.5uf cap on the tweeter.
As you know, a first order crossover has very slow roll-off, and this one is very well integrated with the mid/woofer. The tweeter has good output to lower frequencies, so dispersion is not a problem.
It's one of the most neutral speakers I've heard, and the soundstage is very good.
I never measured them, and it's not easy to find tests on the web for this model (or the ES14), because they are old.
The new ones, after Creek's take over, are not exactly the same thing.
The drivers were made in-house, developed by Epos specifically to be used this way.
I just wished I could find speaker drivers like these and that can be used this way, anywhere.
Almost every woofer sounds horrible without crossover, this one sounds amazing.
The same goes for the tweeter, which I don't have any specs, but has one of the biggest back chambers I've seen, and you can use it with a first-order crossover with much bigger caps, at much lower frequencies, with no detectable aggression, distorsion, sibilance. Clean, detailed, fast. Excellent.
I have a spare tweeter, gotta buy another one because they are THAT good and I would surely use them on a future speaker project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.