Audio transparent fabric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It has proven difficult to make up my mind what forum to put this question in, as it deals with headphones. It's not really a loudspeaker, so it doesn't quite belong there.

I would like to knowwhat fabrics are considered the most audio-transparent ones.

What I would like to DIY are some fabric protectors to use over my headphones ear pads.

Cotton, silk, linen. Those come to my mind, but maybe they are not the best or are not that critical.

Carlos

Cal Weldon said:
Can you not use speaker cloth?

As long as it's soft on the ears, it would be fine. Some seem to be very rough feeling.

But I would be willing to widen up my search to include fabrics that are not practical or too expensive to use on speakers. E.g.: women stockings. Their fabric is used on pop filters in studios for singers. They are probably very transparent, but they would crush any headphone's ear cushions.

Carlos

Hello my friend Carlmart, interesting subject

Always a problem to me..how to protect speaker and headphones without disturb audio....i have children in my home, and maid cleaning, i feel afraid to damage the speakers, and always they use protection grille with some kind of cloth, fabric over.

I was thinking till overheat my brain, years ago, to find a good solution.... had the idea of "veneziana"... some vertical plastic curtain to open and close...having low resistance to air movement.... also i was thinking that something that is easy to air flow, could be also easy to audio flow, as air pressurized or the opposite is found in front of the speaker...i tested many material in front of the wind i have here all day long...also i made tests observing the watter flowing, evaluating the resistance to watter flow too...the result i had was the nylon filter, the one we use to collect small fishes...but not pretty enougth to use (puça para peixes ornamentarios)...ornamental fishes capture fabric.

This way, i decide to keep the polistyrene fabric i have here, as nothing better, and enougth pretty was found.

Good to see someone researching this subjetc.

regards,

Carlos

Lol that all? I have 6 cats, 4 of them white, we have hairs EVERYWHERE!!!!

as a rule when I get new PC speakers I ransack my wife's silk stockings then just basicaly put the whole speaker in there case and all.... Yeah not very pretty... but it lasts and even keeps the perpetual smoke residue layer off it... I suppose it could work, you dont have to pull it tight enough to bunch up the sponge parts, or maybe you could make a tubelike sponge with 1 side covered by a layer of stocking silk, kinda like a drum...

Anyway... jut wanted to say, I can hear no diffirence between having then cover the speakers and not...

May have some small difference Nordic...remove and put it again and you will perceive

Our ears/brain produce some adjustment...perception adjustment, but removing and inserting it fast...you will see difference...small but will appear.

There are people that search perfection...for them, this is "enormous" difference....well.... those guys are the ones that produce better results. as they are neurothically fixed to find the unreachable perfection...but they go very close.

People told me that cats are good distortion meters...as they go away from too much loud sound sources or distorted sources having some high frequency modulating trebles.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.