pc xo : steep crossover slopes advantages and drawbacks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello

as i buy a new laptop, i'm gonna use the drivers laying on the floor of my house (fostex fe-168 Sigma along with g2si ribbon) with a pair of 93db efficient 12 v 726 focal bass drivers that i'm gonna buy at zalytron, to do a pair of speakers with a pc-XO done off my old desktop.

i was wondering how do the use of steep (24db) to VERY steep (96 - 108 db ) crossover slopes relate to sound quality. i would like to have theoretical AND experience based point of view on the subject.

also i wondered if a driver like the focal 12 v 726 thats made for vented enclosure (qts 0.353 fs 29hz) could be used in an appropriate big closed enclosure with electronic compensation on the computer, provided it would have enough xmax fo my listening needs

thanks !

HAve a look to this thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6655&highlight=

Five days ago, I had the first listening experiences in stereo with my completly finished Hardman crossover (mentionned in the above thread) which is a Cauer filter. The frequencies overlap at 1500 Hz and the frequency of the notch in the high pass section is at 800 Hz which is the resonance of my tweeters.
Subjectively, it is much better than previous experiences (a very long time ago) using 6 and 12 dB/o slopes which, I think, are completely insufficient at high frequencies.
Next project is to compare the Hardman at 1500 Hz with a Linkwitz Riley 24 dB/o and a Lecleach/Brooke 18dB/o at about 1700 Hz.
For low frequencies, at about 150 Hz or less, I won't use the Hardman circuit and will only compare the LR with the LeCleac'h/Brooke.

~~~~~~~ Forr

§§§

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.