Upgrading crossover caps - don't fit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Folowing some advices to improve sound quality I am trying to change all electrolitic caps to poly ones. The poly caps are radial so do not fit into existing circuit board unles legs are bent or somehow modified. What would you recommend?

Thanks

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 219
You could put the poly cap where there's a room on the board (on the back seems not possible??). You can make a new hole, or you can use unused holes, or connect to inductor legs or anywhere as long as they connect to the same point in the circuit.

I think you need to make a new hole or at least make available holes bigger because MKPs have bigger diameter legs?

You could also use cables to connect your poly cap from the new hole to the original hole. Well, I hope you get the point because this is DIY anyway :devilr:

David Gatti said:
Definitely a good move replacing those caps. You might also consider replacing the iron-cored coil(s) with air cored equivalents.
What speaker is that crossover from?

Those are from "famous" old technics sb-4, what oversounded paradgm studio and jamo so far... So waiting for my friend to finish DIY speaker project to compare...

Don't want to play with coils for now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.