Suitable drivers for JBL 4560 cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi CAL,

Well I have run the Omega PROs in the 4560 cabinets and they sound fine to me. However it's only when you getting talking to experts, that you realise just how important it is to use the original loudspeaker for certain designs. Recently I have been refurbishing some Martin M600 Philshave cabinets and have learnt a great deal talking to technical guys from ATC and Martin Audio. With Philishaves, where phase bungs are mounted in front of the loudspeaker, it is vital to match the driver profile with the phase bung to obtain the correct compression between phase bung and dust cap/cone. It appears that with simple flared bins such as the JBL4560 there is no need to maintain exactly the same loudspeaker geometry. The purpose of my question was to see if any members had used these cabs in the past and had any views on a better choice than the eminence driver. Incidentially, I am not trying to achive the 45-50Hz capability of the original 4560s with JBL drivers, I am only operting them between 80 and 250Hz.

regards,

Steve:)

Hi Steve,

The 4560's were originally designed to use JBL 2220's. Like other front loaded designs it works best with high Fs, low Qts drivers. (37Hz, 0.18 for the 2220)
2205 is also recommended by JBL. (lower Fs, same Qts)

I don't know the Eminence drivers, but I would suggest you work backwards from the designed-for drivers.

You're right that the 4560 is not very critical about how it's fed. It's a pretty low-tech design.

I've used 'em with all sorts of drivers in the past, JBL's, Altec's, Vitavox drivers. I think they sound best with high Fs, low Qts drivers.

Cheers, Ralph.

Hi Frode,

Yes I had been thinking about Precision Devices. There's is a distributor/stockist near me in Bournemouth, Pro Audio Parts. I don't know if I need to go the expense of the PD1550, I had some good advice from another member Ralphs99. He suggested the Qts and fs figures I should be looking for, and I may be able to get away with something slightly cheaper than a PD. I suppose ultimately, you get what you pay for though!

Unlike the Martin Philishaves I am trying to restore, the JBL 4560s should be quite easy to sort out by the sounds of it. To get the Philishaves working properly they have to be fitted with original ATCs supplied to Martin Audio. Lots of money, I hope they are worth it!

regards,

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.