Usher 2.5 DIY Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After much hand wringing, I finally decided to build the Usher 2.5 kit from Zalytron.com.

However, after making the decision, I find that they are no longer going to be selling Usher products, just what they have inhouse. They had everything but the tweeters -- the list them as T-9950.

I know partsexpress.com sells usher, so I go ahead and get the parts from Zalytron that they do have and then will buy the tweeters from partsexpress.

Well, after sending over my credit card information for the kit minus tweeters, I get sidetracked at work and don't actually get to buying the tweeters until the next day... when I find that there are two different tweeters from usher with 9950 in their model number. :confused: Correspondence with Zalytron is unconclusive -- he can only tell me he knows them as the "regular 9950s".:bawling:

I was HOPING that someone out there might know if the tweeter is the 9950-20 or the 9950C-15. The guy at Zalytron said the 9950-20 should work fine, but, well, I thought I'd get a second opinion.

Thanks for any forthcoming advice.

JCD

Oh, here is there description of the kit..

U-2.5
This Joe D'Appolito design is a 2.5 way system. The Usher T-9950 tweeter is joined with two 8945-W woofers. The second woofer is used just for the lower octaves. This system really rocks the house. Crossover. Figure 1 shows the frequency response from 200Hz to 20kHz. Figure 2 shows the response of teh individual drivers and illistrates the crossover frequency which is 2046Hz. Figure 3 plots speaker impedance. The cabinet dimensions are 25.5" H x 9" W X 14" D.

At one point in time Usher changed their driver naming conventions. T-9950 is now called 9950-20. T-9950S was the shielded version which is now called 9950C-15. You should get 9950-20 from PE for that kit, same tweeter.

Similarly 8945W is same thing as what it is now called as 8945A.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.