How does 16 ohm Eros + nad 320bee perform

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I'm planning to build Wayne's Eros MKII floorstander. After seeing review from many guys in various forums, I had almost dropped the idea(as it's impedance varies from 3-5ohms), until one of my friend gave me this modified version of Eros(which he has built and he is satisfied with its performance which has an impedance of around 16 ohms).
Please refer the the circuit diagram for the 16ohm modified version of Eros,
I have the NAD 320bee 50 watts/channel amplifier. I wanted to know how the Nad amplifier might perform with the 16 ohm speaker. Does the 16ohm speaker cause any problem to the nad amplifier.

Thanks in advance.
Hemanth.

Attachments

• eros cross over.jpg
    eros cross over.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 136
Series woofer or high impedance speaker is an easy load for an amplifier. Even with the original version I don't think that NAD will have problem. NAD amplifier has Impedance Sensing Circuit. NAD has very very good control over bass. I think the NAD works well with Floorstanders like Eros MKII. And, NAD 320 is too warm so MKII midrange will help. But I think Gainclone is better than NAD 320 :D (If I'm not mistaken the NAD has big electrolityc in the input!)

Keep the soft-clipping switched in just in case, at least at first, but I seriously doubt you'll have a problem. NAD amps are designed to work better into dynamic loads than on the test-bench anyway (not that they're bad there either) and it's frightening the amount of current all of their models can pump. The old 3020 with 20wpc was once demonstrated at the long-dead Harrogate hifi show in 1980 I believe (but don't quote me on that) powering no less than 6 Linn Isobariks wired in series, and the 320BEE is it's great-great-grandson. The Isobarik was an absolute nightmare load, causing most monster-priced amplifiers to quake when it's name was mentioned, and roll over and die when attached, yet this cheap little integrated drove 3 pairs. Not very loud, it must be said, but it didn't keel over either.

Scott.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.