Looking for high quality 3-way design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2005, 01:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for high quality 3-way design

Hi,

I would appreciate advice on a good 3-way design along the lines of a ribbon tweeter with Accuton C79-6 midrange, maybe SEAS Excel or Revelator bass.
I see a lot of 2-way and 2.5 way designs, yet also read that the mid-range is most important and is ideally covered by a single driver with no XO from 400Hz to about 4,6, or 8 kHz.

So, I am a bit confused as to why I don't see more 3-way designs compared to, say, MTM. Would prefer closed or vented to dipole.

I am happy to go with active XO as part of the overall solution.

Thoughts/ideas ?

Thanks, Jack
Old 6th September 2005, 07:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Looking for high quality 3-way design

Quote:
Originally posted by jacklelad
So, I am a bit confused as to why I don't see more 3-way designs compared to, say, MTM.
That a very good question! Recently I was talking to my buddy, I we were scratching our heads having the same question! Would anyone be so kind and shed some light on the matter?

Thanks,
T.
Old 6th September 2005, 07:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

IMO, the reason is that a 2-way should cover most of the signal that you're trying to reproduce. Ideally, you'll have a mid-bass that covers the important region 60/80Hz-3/4kHz (pretty much all the vocal fundamentals and most of the musical fundamentals). Then you'll have a tweeter that covers most of the high stuff, and a subwoofer (or 2) for the really low stuff.

But, then, doesn't that make it a 3-way anyway?

I've generally got this set-up using 2 'base modules' (Lambda 12" in sealed boxes) and using my Elac 510s (or whatever DIY flavour of the month I'm currently using) as the main speakers. A subby (eventually) will be used to put holes in the wall on the really big explosions - but not yet

As far as the MTMs are concerned, IMO it's to allow a fairly small mid-bass to be able to handle the signal at a reasonable level (there's no substitute for cubic inches). MMtMM even better...
Old 6th September 2005, 08:14 AM   #4
wxn is offline wxn  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloth Ears
As far as the MTMs are concerned, IMO it's to allow a fairly small mid-bass to be able to handle the signal at a reasonable level (there's no substitute for cubic inches). MMtMM even better...
Good point.
But then again, wouldn't be a WMtM or WMtMW even better?
Old 6th September 2005, 12:51 PM   #5
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Jack, it doesn't use a ribbon but this design is tried and tested, active and three-way.
Old 7th September 2005, 11:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A few reasons I suspect, one of which is complexity, and the difficulty of integrating drivers well. Also, there aren't many really good dedicated bass and mid-drivers available (though you can find them if you look around). A good way forward might be simply to use 3 mid/bass drivers, one of which handles the mids, and two in series which handle the bass, a la the Revolver RW45 and Monitor Audio Silver S8. World Audio Design used to have some good 3 ways on their site, but since Audax discontinued the drivers, the designs were removed. Anyone out there got them? They should be adaptable to other units.
Best
Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!