Side Firing Woofer Concerns?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So here is the story...

I have constructed a sealed 3 way MTMW tower with a pair of Audax AP100Z0 4" midwoofers, a Vifa PL27TG35 tweeter, and a side firing Dayton Classic 10" woofer. I have measured everyting in LSPLab but am curious if I should be using a 90 degree off axis measurement for the woofer rather than the on axis measurement when modelling the crossover.

My original plans called for a much larger cabinet but SAF got the best of me so I went for a tall slim design with a side firing woofer. Obviously this reduced the internal volume to the point that I'm not getting the bass I should from the 10" driver. I have an extra pair of these drivers sitting around but am unsure of whether an isobaric combination would work if the woofers are side by side rather than magnet to magnet. I may have to resort to porting the enclosure....any suggestions?

Thanks

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Gcollier said:
So here is the story...

I have constructed a sealed 3 way MTMW tower with a pair of Audax AP100Z0 4" midwoofers, a Vifa PL27TG35 tweeter, and a side firing Dayton Classic 10" woofer. I have measured everyting in LSPLab but am curious if I should be using a 90 degree off axis measurement for the woofer rather than the on axis measurement when modelling the crossover.

My original plans called for a much larger cabinet but SAF got the best of me so I went for a tall slim design with a side firing woofer. Obviously this reduced the internal volume to the point that I'm not getting the bass I should from the 10" driver. I have an extra pair of these drivers sitting around but am unsure of whether an isobaric combination would work if the woofers are side by side rather than magnet to magnet. I may have to resort to porting the enclosure....any suggestions?

Thanks

I had a similar problem and used a PAIR of side-firing woofers. Once you accept the side-firing, there a whole lot of side panel real estate that can be converted to cone area ;) . Of course my Behringer DCX2496 made it easy to straighten out the response curve...

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.