Need to replace Polk speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Polk RT-16s. Had them for years. I used to like them, but now I don't. I use them for my bedroom system which is my music system.

Either its because I am older, the speakers are older, or both.

Mainly is the top end. There is this harsh sound I hear and it detracts from my enjoyment.

I have been demoing a set of ACI Sapphires. Great sounding speakers, but of course they don't have the bass of the Polks. They definitely lack that harsh sound in the high freqs. I suspected this before demoing them, because I have their Emeralds as mains in my HT system. I guess I am willing to shell out the not inconsiderable price for them, but I got to thinking...what if I simply replaced the tweeters in the RT16?

Seems that would be tricky for many reasons. I would have to match all those tricky driver parameters and there's simply no gaurantees on whether I could actually improve the situation (could be elsewhere such as the crossover.) I suppose DYI's are used to taking risks like this, but I am not a risk taker :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.