2nd order 3-way series xo (very rare)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMHO, the aim of a series x-o is to COMBINE the drivers with the minimal amount of components. (sorta like a string bikini top)

With a parallel x-o you are trying to CONTROL and/or SEPARATE the drivers. (sports bra??)

Mind you, the full range guys prefer no x-o, I can see their point !!!

The main reason for using a second order series in a 2-way would be added protection for the tweeter, or to get away from the res point of something like the XT25. In a 3-way series, this should not be necessary, so a 2nd order 3-way series seems somewhat counter-productive

Well, the idea was not a pure 3-way series, but a 3-way series for the tweeter and midrange in paralell with a typical 2nd order branch for the woofer.
A 2-way series circuit won't work, of course, because it wouldn't provide the bandpass function for the mid-drive.

With this series+paralell setup, the woofer has its own connection and no loss of power. Tweeter and midrange have all the advantages of a series crossover.

I believe the 12dB/oct is necessary because it's important to have a low-frequency crossing between the woofer and midrange and the mid couldn't handle well the low frequencies provided by a 6dB/oct curve (1st order).

I have actually seen and listened to such a crossover and was surprised by the correct integration and overall sonic result (this goes beyond theory/fiction). Therefore, I would like to make one myself, but couldn't find any references. This will be one of my last attempts before giving up on the passive territory and going active.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.