Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Need help on Series XO
Need help on Series XO
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2005, 03:41 PM   #11
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Most of the info that I have found on series state that they are better with the single series resistor and not an L-Pad and that's what I have found. Even in the parallel world, a lot use the single resistor including Vance Dickason. Yes L-pads do provide a constant load with leaving the tweeter impedance constant no matter what the attenuation is on a parellel network but I'm not sure if that is the case on series network.

The spreadsheet takes the resistor into consideration during the calculation and with your drivers with the series resistor (R1) only gives almost equal impedance on the tweeter leg and woofer leg of the network which is a good thing.

5W resistors are fine and most of mine are non inductive wirewound. Use R1 only (the one in series) as it will sound better but try the L-Pad with R1 and R2 if you like, but that will alter the cap value. As you reduce R1, C4 becomes larger and visa versa.... it's all linked together.
Old 28th August 2005, 06:02 PM   #12
Jennice is offline Jennice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks,

I'm eager to try it out when the boxes get back.
A friend of mine is doing the grinding / woodwork as the speakers will probably end up with him... but I have parts to make another pair.

I use the meantime to think (or re-think) the X-over and get ideas....

... and the important help from fellow DIY'ers!
Jennice
Old 29th August 2005, 04:26 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Just try the series crossover and see what you think. The values I gave earlier would not be too far off the mark and should sound very good.
Old 29th August 2005, 07:15 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Rabbitz,

I got a call last night: The boxes are sanded to a nice surface, and are ready for paint (we'll let a proff. car paint shop do it).

After that, it's out shopping for components.

Now it's all about getting rid of the flu *cough cough* to get started...

Jennice
Old 29th August 2005, 01:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Sorry to hear about the flu but please keep it away from us...... aaaachoooo.... too late
Old 29th August 2005, 05:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The day that computer viruses get "personal", I'll cancel my ISP account!

Need help on Series XOHide this!Advertise here!