Help on deciding what to build - problem room. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2005, 02:41 AM   #1
Emprov is offline Emprov  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help on deciding what to build - problem room.

My first DIY project is done, a pair of speaker for HT and my wife loves them, so now I have to tackle our living room. It's about 17 x 18 and has oak floors with a rug in the middle. It doesn't cut down on acoustic reflection like you'd think though, especially given the fact that there's a 12' glass slider in the room. Another issue is that there's not a lot of space for speakers. About the only place that makes aesthetic sense is to place them about 6' apart in a corner area, not exactly ideal. Also, wall/ceiling mount is not a possiblity. So that's our sitch. I'd like to put something in that put out some good bass and I've searched a bit but I'm kind of stumped on what to build. And BTW, I'd love to keep it under $500 for drivers/x-over. Any ideas?
Old 25th August 2005, 03:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can't help you with what to build, but I can definately advise you to run it past your wife first. Unfortunately, in *my* living room, cosmetics take priority over sound. The room is bad enough that I have to use the balance knob on the amp!

At least she let me keep the Tupperware containers underneath the tall speakers, even a non-audiophile can hear the difference that makes with those speakers in that room -- the bass and mid-range become significantly less muddy, and the speakers are actually a little louder! Probably something to do with the carpet dampening the box.

Wes
Old 25th August 2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Emprov is offline Emprov  United States
diyAudio Member

My wife is definitely involved in the process but thanks for the input anyway. She tends to not be real specific about what she wants until my various projects are completed, I've learned to read her pretty well.

Let me ask this a different way: I'm considering a pair of Cryolites but I'm concerned that 7" RS-180 wouldn't put out enough sound/bass for the size of the room. Then again, there's a good amount of bounce. D'yall think that they would sound small given the size of the room?

Hide this!Advertise here!