A how to for a PC XO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thunau said:

Jack is no good with 64bit OS. Neither is VSTShell. Reaper could work, it's just a pain in the butt to set it up and run it every time you want to just use your speaker crossover.
I'm a bit behind with all the latest 64bit OS's so you will have to excuse me- I don't have all the answers.
Maybe Winamp with the VST/Allocator output wrapper would work?

Personally I run a dedicated audio playback/crossover computer, which is a little Mini ITX with single core Celeron 230- more than enough power for the application. I run XP on it.

Doesnt reaper have the option to save profiles? Otherwise console is my only option, even if i plan to keep in sleep mode the htpc most of the time.
I'm building a much more powerful pc that will be the only source and do not only the XO, but also equalization and DRC, all in realtime.

I could use a 32 bit os (vista or w7 and dual boot), but it would be a waste of 1gb of ram, and theoretically be a problem with 24/96 cue-based albums.

Did you compare the D2 soud quality with other (not expensive) cards?
It pisses me that asus asio drivers do NOT change the sample rate on the fly. I have quite a few 24/96k albums and i surely do not want to open the drivers each time i play one of those.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lynx

Telstar said:

I answer myself. Console does work, after i route wdm to asio with freemixer. But I believe that the sound quality is worse, much worse. Not only, but waves linEQ is "dirty" in some way.

That was my first try. Now, I'm going to try Thunau's app.

I'm really interested in buying this sound card for use as a crossover and the pro audio side too - at this price it looks a class above for functionality and also driver support. Does WDM>ASIO still affect sound quality with the new drivers (v1.20.3)? In the changelog is "Improved ASIO/WDM driver operation".

Also, does using their WDM-ASIO conversion add much latency?

Thanks

Matt

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lynx

mattpwill said:

I'm really interested in buying this sound card for use as a crossover and the pro audio side too - at this price it looks a class above for functionality and also driver support.

The drivers are stable. The reroute works (after you figure it out).
But I think there's some problem with asio buffer. The issues I experience are pop/clicks in all but WASAPI mode.

I was thinking that the only fix would be to raise the latency. I dont see a buffer setting for asio anywhere :(
Didnt have the time to mail SIMMS, but they helped me on the i2s mod (not done yet), so i'm positive.

Does WDM>ASIO still affect sound quality with the new drivers (v1.20.3)? In the changelog is "Improved ASIO/WDM driver operation".
Also, does using their WDM-ASIO conversion add much latency?

Thanks
Matt

I think I have the latest drivers. I need to do more tests but I dont have the time right now.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lynx

Telstar said:

The drivers are stable. The reroute works (after you figure it out).
But I think there's some problem with asio buffer. The issues I experience are pop/clicks in all but WASAPI mode.

I was thinking that the only fix would be to raise the latency. I dont see a buffer setting for asio anywhere :(
Didnt have the time to mail SIMMS, but they helped me on the i2s mod (not done yet), so i'm positive.

I think I have the latest drivers. I need to do more tests but I dont have the time right now.

Just want to say a big thank you. The new drivers were brought out only this month, are you sure that you used these?

Re: quartet new drivers

Telstar said:

NO! I didn't.
The new drivers, which I installed this morning do not pop/click. :)
The support from SIMS is great, I say go ahead and buy the card. It is truly a best buy.

Brilliant! Do you know roughly how much latency the WDM>ASIO conversion takes?

I live in the UK, is the best price I can get from http://www.thomann.de/gb/infrasonic_quartet.htm ?

This is 119 Euros plus shipping, I've noticed some able to get it for 80 Euros?

Thank you again

Re: Re: quartet new drivers

mattpwill said:

Brilliant! Do you know roughly how much latency the WDM>ASIO conversion takes?

If you want i can measure tomorrow. With the older drivers the program (the one used in the review of the firewire 6 ways interface) didnt work at all!

I live in the UK, is the best price I can get from http://www.thomann.de/gb/infrasonic_quartet.htm ?

This is 119 Euros plus shipping, I've noticed some able to get it for 80 Euros?

Thank you again

For once, we have it cheaper in Italy. 87 euros shipped directly from the distributor. Shipping to you would cost probably 20 euro more and you have to pay with bank transfer.
You may want to contact them: site is Backline.it

I haven't been able to get Reaper to work for me. I think it would let me use 1 computer instead of 2 for at least some of the things I am doing on the computer with audio.

Anyway at first I had ReaRoute showing up in foobar but I could never seem to get the routing to work. At some point I accidently tried the x64 version and got frustrated because I wasn't seeing my x86 vst plug I wanted to use. Figured that out installed a newer x86 version which lets me see the plugins I need but now I don't see ReaRoute in foobar2000 anymore. Arg! Just venting really haha :smash:

Key said:
I haven't been able to get Reaper to work for me. I think it would let me use 1 computer instead of 2 for at least some of the things I am doing on the computer with audio.

Anyway at first I had ReaRoute showing up in foobar but I could never seem to get the routing to work. At some point I accidently tried the x64 version and got frustrated because I wasn't seeing my x86 vst plug I wanted to use. Figured that out installed a newer x86 version which lets me see the plugins I need but now I don't see ReaRoute in foobar2000 anymore. Arg! Just venting really haha :smash:

Yes, same happened to me on my Vista x64 machine. I think rearoute is bugged. I lost re... what was the name? that i had in Audition before. x-fi asio is crap anyway.

I think i'll stick with Console, that worked and has a nice interface. The only issues i had were due to the bugged asio drivers of my quartet (other pc, vista x32).

Re: Re: Re: quartet new drivers

Telstar said:

If you want i can measure tomorrow. With the older drivers the program (the one used in the review of the firewire 6 ways interface) didnt work at all!

I would appreciate this, thank you :)

Telstar said:

For once, we have it cheaper in Italy. 87 euros shipped directly from the distributor. Shipping to you would cost probably 20 euro more and you have to pay with bank transfer.
You may want to contact them: site is Backline.it

Thank you for this, I've sent them an email :)

Re: quartet new drivers

mattpwill said:

I would appreciate this, thank you :)

Centrance latency test does not work with the quartet drivers (on my test computer), sorry. It says that the driver reset and does cannot measure it.
I let asio play for about 2 hours last night (3000ms buffer in foobar, though 2000 should do it) and no issue at all. I almost forgot i was not on wasapi.

So my recommendation stands: get the quartet.

Can anyone please help I can't get a simple routing setup using console to work, as soon a I turn on console all audio dies, all levels in totalmix fall to 0 including foobars output so I think there is something conflicting with the asio drivers expecially as I have the exact same problem using Bidule. I am only trying to get a very simple 2 channel routing working atm and have the following on a 9632 card.

Foobar -> adat 1+2 asio -> loopback via totalmix to in ch5+6 -> console asio input ch5+6 -> console link to analogue out 1+2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.