A how to for a PC XO. - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2006, 11:53 AM   #601
doctrin is offline doctrin  Germany
diyAudio Member

The RME Digi9636 should do its job (and after a while its "cheaper" ). How is it possible to expand the channels?
You ment this card, right? http://www.rme-audio.de/hammer/d9636.htm
Old 9th November 2006, 03:04 PM   #602
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How is it possible to expand the channels?
The RME cards use the ADAT interface. It is an optical interface (TOSLINK) but it transfers 8 channels or 4 stereo channels. The Digi3936 has 2 ADAT in and 2 ADAT out = 16 channels in and out. With the expansion card you can upgrade to a Digi 9652 and you have then 24 channels in/out.

The advantage is that a PC is also ground isolated (at the signal lines).

IMO the cheapest solution to connect to the audio system is to use the Alesis AI-3 AD/DA-converter with ADAT interface or the Alesis AI-4 AES-ADAT-AES digital converter (I use the AI-4, so I do not have experience for other AD/DA-converters with an ADAT interface. But there should be more than one as ADAT is quite often used in recording studios).
Old 9th November 2006, 03:10 PM   #603
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
I am using RME ADi-4DD for the conversion between AES and ADAT. Sounds pretty good. But some claimed that RME ADI192DD is even better. The latter is also a sample rate converter too, if you believe in SRC!
Old 9th November 2006, 03:13 PM   #604
diyAudio Member

Ahhh ok i need a AD/DA-converter, thank you .
Alesis, i think , is one of the inexpensive and hopefully good solutions ...perhaps there is something in DIY.

So Uli you are now in this forum, would you present some of your personal work (f.e. your DIY-Speakers)? I would like to know with which components is the accourate developer listening to his music .
Old 9th November 2006, 04:07 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

Would this AD/DA be a good alternative, its "just" a 20bit converter Fostex VC8 ?
Old 9th November 2006, 04:53 PM   #606
diyAudio Member

Another question: How are you controlling the Volume?

At the moment i am using a Behringer DCX and because of S/N and the "digital-thing" i have to control the Volume after the XO (f.e. with AV-reciever or DIY-multichannel preamp).
Old 9th November 2006, 08:25 PM   #607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uli.brueggemann

Unluckily BruteFIR requires a Linux system. And today the support of newer soundcards by ALSA is not very good.
Recent additions to ALSA include E-Mu 1212m and 1820(/M) sound cards as well as generic FreeBoB driver for Firewire interfaces ("This 1.0 release provides support for the devices based on the BridgeCo DM1000 or DM1500 chipset that are running the BeBoB firmware. For a list of supported devices, consult our website at freebob.sf.net. ").

See http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index...ported_Devices
for a list of FreeBoB supported devices.
-Mikko
Old 10th November 2006, 02:33 PM   #608
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Red GTi VR6 Send a message via AIM to Red GTi VR6 Send a message via MSN to Red GTi VR6 Send a message via Yahoo to Red GTi VR6
Hello all!

I've spent some time reading through the first 6 pages of this thread and will continue reading after this post, however, maybe someone can help me out before I make it to the 61st page...lol

I'm interested in doing all of my audio processing on a single PC.

I don't care about video or surround sound.

This is going to be in a car.

I will be running a 3 way set-up up front and either a single or dual sub set-up out back. I'd need the ability to add more channels later (as in for a set of center drivers)

I'm in need of
31-band 1/3 Octave EQ
Cross over functions
Time alignment
Phase adjustment

Being able to run a RTA on it would be even nicer.

I'm seeing the Wave set-up mentioned in the first thread as being able to do XO functions, but I see that it's titled as an EQ. This is confusing me a bit. Does the wave plug-in allow for XO as well as EQ functions?

Anyone have any input that might be able to help me out some?

Old 10th November 2006, 03:19 PM   #609
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So Uli you are now in this forum, would you present some of your personal work (f.e. your DIY-Speakers)? I would like to know with which components is the accourate developer listening to his music
My system is a full digital system (ok, the speakers get analog signals).
I use three signal sources (CD-Player, DVD-Player, SAT Receiver), but I run mainly the CD-player.

Marantz CD17 mkII, tweaked with L-Clock
to
Genesis Digital Lens (old jitter treatment, AES output)
to
Apogee Big Ben Jitter treatment (used also as input switch between sources)
to
Alesis AI-4 AES-ADAT converter
to
RME Digi9636 soundcard (built into drive- and fanless PC [FuturePC] with BruteFIR on a memorystick)
to
Alesis AI-4 ADAT-AES converter
to
Apogee BigBen to tweeter amp TacT M2150
and to
mid driver amp TacT S2150
and to
bass driver amp TacT S2150

Speakers: DIY with B&W FST midrange driver + ScanSpeak Ringradiator + Woofer W210 TacT

Cables:
DIY Cat7 digital interconnection
DIY silver foil cable (...cable cookbook ..) for tweeter
0815 speaker cable for the other drivers

Optimization with acourate:
Bessel filters 10th order linear phase, subtractive appraoch
driver linearization
time alignment
room correction
See tutorials + white paper at www.acourate.com

Ok so far?
Old 10th November 2006, 05:19 PM   #610
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
Hello all!

I've spent some time reading through the first 6 pages of this thread and will continue reading after this post, however, maybe someone can help me out before I make it to the 61st page...lol

I'm interested in doing all of my audio processing on a single PC.

I don't care about video or surround sound.

This is going to be in a car.

I will be running a 3 way set-up up front and either a single or dual sub set-up out back. I'd need the ability to add more channels later (as in for a set of center drivers)

I'm in need of
31-band 1/3 Octave EQ
Cross over functions
Time alignment
Phase adjustment

Being able to run a RTA on it would be even nicer.

I'm seeing the Wave set-up mentioned in the first thread as being able to do XO functions, but I see that it's titled as an EQ. This is confusing me a bit. Does the wave plug-in allow for XO as well as EQ functions?

Anyone have any input that might be able to help me out some?

Why center drivers, when you don't wanna have surround it's completlely unnecessary

@ Uli some pics and i won`t bother you further ^^
and is it possible to run music and bruteFIR on the same system...2 AD/DA-converter are a little bit expensive and despoiling a lot amount of space

Hide this!Advertise here!