A how to for a PC XO. - Page 49 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2006, 06:54 AM   #481
diyAudio Member

Jan,

Do you have an estimated release date for your VST plugins?
Old 12th June 2006, 11:22 AM   #482
Thunau is offline Thunau  United States
diyAudio Member

It should be sometime this week for 0.99 and a few more weeks for the mac version and 1.0
Old 20th June 2006, 08:05 PM   #483
nils77 is offline nils77  France
diyAudio Member

Hy

I'd love to try thunau's XO and console but I simply don't succeed putting things right

As a first step I'm still trying to get console to run correctly with foobar and my RME Multiface. I'll see for the Allocator after.

I've made SPDIF out the default output for Windows Media Player and I made a Ctrl + click on the spdif outputs to run the loopback.

But when I run foobar with console on I get very weird results, either some sort of oscilating phenomenon (with output visible on console's meters), or no output at all. And all this varies a lot depending the latency I set on the RME Multiface.

Has anybody managed to run console with an RME Multiface that could help me with the settings ?

Thanks for your help !
Old 20th June 2006, 10:58 PM   #484
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nils77
Hy

I'd love to try thunau's XO and console but I simply don't succeed putting things right

As a first step I'm still trying to get console to run correctly with foobar and my RME Multiface. I'll see for the Allocator after.

I've made SPDIF out the default output for Windows Media Player and I made a Ctrl + click on the spdif outputs to run the loopback.

But when I run foobar with console on I get very weird results, either some sort of oscilating phenomenon (with output visible on console's meters), or no output at all. And all this varies a lot depending the latency I set on the RME Multiface.

Has anybody managed to run console with an RME Multiface that could help me with the settings ?

Thanks for your help !
I believe the problem lies in the fact that Windows Media Player is accessing the RME's Windows WDM drivers and feeding the audio to the card on their terms, while the Console is using the multichannel ASIO drivers, which request the data on their terms.
The solution is to use the card with only one set of drivers.
Try the Foobar player and add the ASIO output dll to its directory (if it's not there by default). Then, in the main output selection of Foobar Preferences select the RME ASIO drivers. Then, in the details for Foobar's ASIO settings assign the SPDIF out to Left and Right outputs of Foobar.
Make sure that RME driver is set to Sync=Auto and preferred sync source is SPDIF.
It might take a restart of Foobar and Console for the whole thing to work, but it should eventually work that way.
In the RME driver settings select at least 1024 samples for the buffer size if you want the allocator to run smoothly (big processing blocks used by the program).
Old 20th June 2006, 11:48 PM   #485
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm running Windows Media Player, console and an RME HDSP9652 just fine. You cant do the control-click loopback with the HDSP9652. You can, however, physically loop an output back to one of the inputs. In that case, you set synch to internal. I've had no problems with this method and it sounds great.

At one time, I was using a physical loopback between a firewire mAudio Firewire Solo into the RME. There were cracks/pops using that setup.

One thing that would be great is if someone would write a WindowsMediaPlayer type app as a VSTi/VST. Then you wouldnt have to mess with the loopback at all.

Anothing thing... I've read about hardware VST implementations. I think I saw some in my Sweetwater catalog. Anyone foregoing the PC and using one of these? Some of the cheaper one's seem to be nothing more than Linux PC's.
Old 21st June 2006, 12:25 AM   #486
diyAudio Member

I messed with the Synthedit program for a while. It's a graphic SDK that let's you build VST plugins using drag and drop modules.
One of the modules was a Wave player and MP3 player IIRC.
You could make your own, but it would most likely lack the advanced playlist and database features.
But a VST wrapper for a Media Player would be really nice.
Old 21st June 2006, 12:57 AM   #487
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveis

One thing that would be great is if someone would write a WindowsMediaPlayer type app as a VSTi/VST. Then you wouldnt have to mess with the loopback at all.

Here is a VST that plays MP3's.
http://www.askywhale.com/vst/#MP3PLAY .
I haven't tried it, just did a search.
Old 22nd June 2006, 11:57 PM   #488
nils77 is offline nils77  France
diyAudio Member

Thunau, Daveis, thank for your help. Afraid I tried all your suggestions, and every possible combination of my multiface's settings, unsuccessfully. Maybe I'll have to try another player than foobar, even though I d'ont think it's the root of the pb.

Nils
Old 23rd June 2006, 12:56 AM   #489
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nils77
Maybe I'll have to try another player than foobar, even though I d'ont think it's the root of the pb.

Nils
The Windows combination I've used successfully includes
Windows Media Player 10
Windows XP SP2
Athlon64 3500
Art Teknica Console(registered)
Voxengo Gliss EQ 24db/oct Butterworth VST (limited to 24db/oct only)

I've tried foobar2000 and I really never found that it worked any better than Windows Media Player. It has a nice old-school simple interface which I appreciate, but I dont believe it uses the best Microsoft supported Windows API's(waveOut vs. DirectSound) for doing sound. In a listening blind test with my ex-girlfriend, she preferred the sound of both MediaMonkey and WindowsMediaPlayer. If I remember correctly, they both were using the same windows API to route sound and they both sounded the same. Whereas, foodbar was using something older and sounded worse.

Things that could cause sound hiccups:
a) CPU running too high. My CPU runs under 30% at all times. Having antivirus or some other program running in the background could cause problems.
b) bad VST plugin
c) sound card and source not synchronized off the same clock.
d) having your ASIO buffer set too small. I use the highest buffer size of 8192 on my PC. Latency isnt a problem for me, but clicks/pops are.
e) older bad drivers from RME

On my RME mixer:

IN1 through IN26 nothing is checked
OUT1 to OUT6 is paired with A1 1 through A1 6
OUT17 to A1 7 and A3 1
OUT18 to A1 8 and A3 2

A3 1-2 are my default outputs under Windows Control Panel Sounds. I found that I have to send Adat3's output to Adat2's input. For some reason, sending Adat2 out to Adat2 input caused digital noise. I think if your physically loop an ADAT output to a different numbered ADAT input you should be fine. But from what I read your mulitface should be able to do loopback internally using control-click.

Adat 1 from the RME is broken out by an Alesis AI4 using these channel allocations:

1-2 tweeter
3-4 midrange
5-6 woofer
7-8 headphones (fullrange signal)

Now, the downside is that I still have a cap in front of my tweeter and ribbon midrange. I refuse to run expensive and delicate drivers with big amps. I dont care if the DC offset after warmup is low. I've already fried a set of ribbon tweeters without DC blocking cap. I wont make that mistake twice.
Old 16th July 2006, 09:27 AM   #490
diyAudio Member

I am still working my way through this thread (it's a big one ), so please forgive me if something like this has been covered. One of the main drawbacks listed originally with using a PC to do all the sound processing is the noise created by the fans, etc within the PC. This is a subject I am trying to make some headway on at the moment, and I was hoping to get some feedback from everyone here, as you all know heaps more on this subject than I do. Please forgive me if some of these questions and statements seem stupid, as I am very new to this subject. If I am wrong on any points please correct me.

From my reading, the majority of noise is picked up within the PC by components on the soundcard, and the better the soundcard, the less noise is picked up before the signal leaves the PC. Is noise picked up by any other parts? Would bypassing the soundcard entirely eliminate the noise problem caused by fans, etc inside the PC? The reason I ask is CreamWare makes a product, the A16 Ultra, that takes 8 channels of digital music from a PC for each Firewire port, and has 2 Firewire ports built in (16 channels per unit), and can then convert those channels into Balanced Analogue outputs, which could then be run straight into amps and to the speakers. This would also reduce the distance the signal travels as an Analogue signal instead of a Digital one, which would in turn reduce noise and distortion if I am not mistaken. This would allow any PC with 2 Firewire ports to output 16 channels of high quality (24bit/96kHz) sound, without using a soundcard, thereby reducing noise (again, unless I am completely mistaken, which is entirely possible, the reason I am here ).

What does everyone think? Am I missing something important? Am I misinformed about some part? Do you think this will work? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks everyone....
James

Edit: here's the website: http://www.creamware.com/

Hide this!Advertise here!