A how to for a PC XO. - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2005, 11:44 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Not sure if this has already been answered, but is it possible to use two Prodigy LT's for a total of 16 outputs?
Old 10th September 2005, 12:50 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

As far as I can tell Console only supports one device at a time, which really sucks.
Old 10th September 2005, 03:34 AM   #103
JinMTVT is offline JinMTVT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m0tion
JimMTVT:

Take a look at the screenshot from Vil's setup at the bottom of this post. The basic idea is to route WDM output to ASIO input in DirectWire and then turn off WDM output. Then, in Console, click the Audio button under "setup" on the main screen and select your sound card, choose ASIO, and set your sample rate to 48KHz. If you want to be able to process audio from your line-input, in Directwire connect the inputs you want to the outputs you'd like (probably 1->1, 2->2, ...). Now, in Console, click on the "Func" button to bring up the function tab. Drag out the two functions labeled "Wave In" and "Wave Out". Then connect them together with the VST plug-ins you'd like to use in between them (refer to picture below). Turn on Console using the power button and hopefully everything will work.Hope this helps.

thanks for the info
that's what i needed to know

but how do you turn off WDM output ??
i can wire easy in DWires ..

then what to do with asio output??
what is the output at the end?
Old 10th September 2005, 04:44 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Turning off WDM output is done in the Directwire interface. You click on the button directly under the WDM heading so that it says "off" for the output side (refer to Vil's screenshot, he has WDM output turned off). You don't need to route the output from ASIO anywhere in Directwire, again, refer to Vil's screenshot, he has Directwire configured correctly.
Old 10th September 2005, 04:47 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Heh, woops, no wonder you were confused. I never included a link to that screenshot I keep refering to =).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1117181057
Old 10th September 2005, 08:06 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m0tion
As far as I can tell Console only supports one device at a time, which really sucks.
I'm able to use my two soundcards at the same time. one as input and the other as output. This is a onboard soundcard (Soundstorm) and my Revolution. It might be a trivial task for the developers to add support for two or more soundcards? Or perhaps as an plugin?
Old 10th September 2005, 08:15 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Llafriel
Not sure if this has already been answered, but is it possible to use two Prodigy LT's for a total of 16 outputs?
The problem with trying to use two soundcards is that they will have slightly different clocks and hence drift apart. Imagine it was just one tick a second. After 20 mins therefore it would be 20 x 60 = 1,200 ticks misaligned - which is about 30ms at 44,100Khz (ie ticks per sec)

Pro audio cards will have a cable to let you join them together to keep them in sync (RME for example). Also another trick can be to use an spdif between the two cards which should keep them roughly aligned.

It's not trivial in other words. Have a look at the Alsa list and docs for example (linux sound drivers) there is always someone trying to do this on there. It's fairly straightforward to do under linux, but you can read pretty mixed results depending on whether they used a pro card and synced the two cards or not

It would in theory be possible to look at callback times of the two cards and resample different streams so that they go at the same rate, but this is extremely hard stuff to do correctly, and pro audio cards usually only have two soundcard buffers so you have very little leeway to get this correct.

...ok, that was the boring answer
Old 10th September 2005, 09:29 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

I see the problem with the clocks drifting on each card. Would it be possible to sync the clock's diy style? Hardwiring one onto the other or pherhaps using an external clock?
By running two instances of console I'm able to use both my soundcards seperately, so running two Prodigys should be possible also. This of course requires that one is able to pick specific soundstreams from windows.
Old 10th September 2005, 11:04 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Well of course it is. It's just an engineering problem. Doesn't mean that your software will support the two cards though. You CAN in Alsa, but I don't know about windows. Pro audio cards usually already have an external sync option, eg RME you either get the wordclock module or simply connect the two spdif ports

By the way, the front page of the wiki ( http://www.duffroomcorrection.com ) reports that there is a multichannel convolver for DirectX in development. You might want to contact the author and learn more. This approach would mean that you can calculate all your coefficients, then implement them in the DirectX sound layer and hence have access to your correction through all windows apps..

I have no idea if that's already possible using your current method of course...
Old 11th September 2005, 05:06 AM   #110
bser is offline bser  United States
diyAudio Member

hey guys I"m looking to do an all active 5.1 setup for my HT project, can someone recommend the processor power I would need for 11 channels? Each speaker will be a 2 way. Also can anyone say whether the program runs better on an amd platform with the short pipes or will intel's clockspeed advantage lend any performance benefits? I'm thinking dual core amd 3800, will this processor be able to handle it? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hide this!Advertise here!