Fostex supertweeter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2005, 08:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex supertweeter

Looking for a supertweetr to go on top of Goodmans 201 fullrangers on an OB.
Any recomendations will be gratefully received, I'm thinking in terms of the Fostex Ft17h horn, or FT7RP ribbon?
They are both sensitive and will cross high enough. I had a speaker with a Visaton ribbon in it several years ago which I liked so I'm leaning more towards the ribbon but I don't really know.

Kev
Old 22nd August 2005, 11:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Still haven't try ribbon but it will be much better if you use Fostex FT96H with Goodmans. 201 is an excellent driver and it deserves very good supertweeter at least, if not excellent. FT17 isn't bad at all, but it's not very good either. FT96H is very good and I think it will match Goodmans 201 well.

Bartek
Old 23rd August 2005, 01:48 AM   #3
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

IMHO you would want to get better that the FT17.
I love my Aurum Cantus ribbons but I haven't heard the better Fostex tweets
Old 23rd August 2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I must admit, it's time that I gave my Goodmans 201's something better than the budget tweeters that I currently use!

I was thinking of finding something smallish that could be mounted in front of the 201's coaxial style!

Several people (including Zaph ) have said very good things about the Vifa D26NC55 and that is small enough (to go in front of the 201's) too!
Old 23rd August 2005, 03:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That Vifa isn't available in the UK as far as I can find out, may be able to get it from Europe though.

On another matter did you try a Behringer digital EQ or crossover? I've got a large suckout at around 80Hzish and am considering something, but as I'm analogue straright through with a passive TVC I'm unconvinced.

Kev
Old 23rd August 2005, 04:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On another matter did you try a Behringer digital EQ or crossover? I've got a large suckout at around 80Hzish and am considering something, but as I'm analogue straright through with a passive TVC I'm unconvinced.
I don't have a problem at 80 Hz according to my rather basic measuring system (RS digital sound level meter) and ears.

I'm waiting for those Behringer's to drop in price a bit before I try one!

As regards the Vifa D26NC55, I guessed it may be another order to Europe job.
Old 23rd August 2005, 04:55 PM   #7
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default external supertweeters

anybody checked the

Expolinear ARL 91 www.expolinear.com

Murata supertweeters ES103 / 105
(www.murata.com --> "spherical speakers")

would be interested in your experience
alfred
Old 23rd August 2005, 05:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

I don't have a problem at 80 Hz according to my rather basic measuring system (RS digital sound level meter) and ears.
No it's definitely my room, I've moved furniture and spaekers to minimize but it's still very noticeable

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
I'm waiting for those Behringer's to drop in price a bit before I try one!

157 seems to me as if it's a pretty decent buy IMO Could well be tempted

Kev
Old 23rd August 2005, 05:50 PM   #9
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi Kevin

I had the same dillema as you- what tweeter to use with my Goodmans 201s. I am currently awaiting a apir of Aurum Cantum GS2i tweeters that I got in the group buy, and I think they should be an excellent match. At what frequency were you planning to cross over to the tweeter? I was thinking of setting the XO point to 12kHz.

BTW, what size are your baffles, and are you using subs? I am currently torn between fixing my Tannoy dual-concentrics (DU386 drivers that need new surrounds) and building a pair of speakers around the 201s. The problem is in the bass- I am a bass nut and I do not want to stress the old drivers too much with pipe organ music, so a pair of subs will have to be used, but what drivers do you use for them??? This has gotten me thinking a lot lately. That and my mad idea of loading the Tannoys into some modified GRF horns. Ah well, such is the pleasure of this crazy hobby.

Enjoy,
Deon
Old 23rd August 2005, 06:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
BTW, what size are your baffles, and are you using subs? I am currently torn between fixing my Tannoy dual-concentrics (DU386 drivers that need new surrounds) and building a pair of speakers around the 201s. The problem is in the bass- I am a bass nut and I do not want to stress the old drivers too much with pipe organ music, so a pair of subs will have to be used, but what drivers do you use for them???
I'm not sure if you were asking Kevin or both of us Leon but details of my 201 OB's are here

Note that since I have added 'subs' I have removed the glass wings and currently use smaller MDF ones making the baffle width 52 cm (20.5 inches). Details of the subs can be found here

The baffles and subs together sound really great and there is no shortage of bass! .

Hide this!Advertise here!