PTP Active Crossover Wiring - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2005, 01:45 PM   #1
paulhfx is offline paulhfx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default PTP Active Crossover Wiring

I'm in the later stages of designing and building a 4-way dipole. I've built a breadboard prototype crossover, and modified/adjusted so that I'm ready to build the crossover. I want to do them with point-to-point wiring, (I have no resources or interest for a custom pcb) and have some newbie questions.

What sort of boards should I mount them on? Fiberglass/wood/plexi/doesn't matter?

How do I connect the opamps?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 21st August 2005, 01:57 PM   #2
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

If you're just thingking about using existing boards with those little holes in them, then just use IC sockets for the opamps.
Old 21st August 2005, 06:59 PM   #3
paulhfx is offline paulhfx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Should I use boards with pre-drilled holes? If so, should they be copper-lined or bare?

If I use IC sockets, how do I connect wiring to the ic sockets - just solder into the same hole in the board?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 22nd August 2005, 01:35 AM   #4
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulhfx
Should I use boards with pre-drilled holes? If so, should they be copper-lined or bare?

Paul
Assuming that you don't want to have custome made PCBs, then you could use boards like shown in the pics. These have predrilled holes and copper pads. You can also look for some with traces connecting multiple holes to make connecting multiple components to a single point easier.

Quote:
Originally posted by paulhfx

If I use IC sockets, how do I connect wiring to the ic sockets - just solder into the same hole in the board?

Thanks,

Paul
If you select a board with individual pads, then you can plug the components in and solder the pads together. If yoou get the ones with traces that already connect multiple holes, then use that to connect the components and wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57l10002.jpg (64.4 KB, 74 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!