Super Tweeter Laugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Look under Quick and Desperate response for a laugh
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

From the 'manufacture' Golden Sounds website:

Description/Theory: These remarkable speakers, sold in pairs, operate at extremely high frequencies -- much higher than the audio band - actually in the microwave band, above 1 Gigahertz (GHz). The Ultra Tweeters are connected to the output terminals of existing speakers with speaker cables - preferably light, flexible ones - since the Ultra Tweeters themselves are quite light. Ultra Tweeter principle of operation is very unconventional. They don't generate sound in the audio band, or even in the 20-100 KHz band like super-tweeters, but function in the Gigahertz frequency band (normally used for satellite and microwave communications). Ultra Tweeters organize and improve the energy flow in signal conductors as well as the internal wirings of speaker drivers, making the audio system perform more efficiently and synergistically.

With Ultra Tweeters installed, the audio system produces a wider frequency bandwidth, lower noise floor, more "air," and lower distortion. Ultra Tweeters are compatible with any speakers and, because they operate at such extremely high frequencies, one does not have to worry about beaming, time alignment of drivers or matching the acoustic output of the existing speakers.

Operation: Ultra Tweeters may be placed on top of the existing speaker cabinets. They may also be placed in any other convenient location since they do not behave like conventional super-tweeters - i.e., they do not operate in the audio band, or in the 20-100 KHz bands of high-performance super-tweeters. In fact, Ultra Tweeters will even improve the performance of systems that include high-performance super-tweeters.

Retail Price: $400/pr
Ultra Tweeters Professional: $800/pr

Hard to find, so i thought i would post it here:

"A QUICK AND DESPERATE RESPONSE
Last week we sent the following e-mail letter to Mr. Srajan Ebaen, publisher of the site at 6moons.com. He published a glowing review of the “Golden Sound Ultra Tweeters” which you can find at [6moons.com] tinyurl.com/9cbqo in all its glory. Since these “tweeters” seem to us to be paranormal, we of course made sure that Mr. Ebaen and the reviewer Mr. Micallef were aware of this opportunity to take our million-dollar prize. The manufacturer of these remarkable devices says that they

…operate at extremely high frequencies – much higher than the audio band – actually in the microwave band above 1 Gigahertz. The Ultra Tweeters are connected to the output terminals of existing speakers with speaker cables -- preferably light, flexible ones – since the Ultra Tweeters themselves are quite light. The Ultra Tweeter principle of operation is very unconventional. They don't generate sound in the audio band or even in the 20-100KHz band like super tweeters. They function in the Gigahertz band normally used for satellite and microwave communications. Ultra Tweeters organize and improve the energy flow in signal conductors as well as the internal wiring of speaker drivers, making the audio system perform more efficiently and synergistically.

This is very obviously in the paranormal realm. My e-mail letter to publisher Ebaen:

Hallelujah! At last this Foundation has the opportunity to present its million-dollar prize!

Your reviewer Ken Micallef is surely our winner. He can claim the prize following a simple yes-or-no series of tests of the Golden Sound Ultra Tweeters! This should take less than 30 minutes of his time. This is a serious offer, made by our foundation in all sincerity, and thoroughly backed by us. Under his own operating parameters, if Mr. Micallef can tell whether or not the Golden Sound Ultra Tweeters are in operation, he will win this prize.

We invite Ken to submit his application – see www.randi.org for the details, after which we will arrange for the test – at Mr. Micallef’s convenience, and under his conditions.

Mr. Ebaen responded – within minutes of receiving my e-mail! – with this brilliant riposte:

Right, Randi. Sorry, you'll have to continue your fishing expedition elsewhere. We're all out of wanna-be millionaires. We are publishing opinions, Randy. Personal opinions of audio hobbyists, shared with other hobbyists who pay nothing for our content. You are the guy insisting on "facts" and "obligations". Our obligation is to call 'em like we hear 'em. No more, no less. Anyone expecting more is barking up the wrong tree, something we've stated ad infinitum on our site.

No surprise here. This is the usual fatuous refusal to show their consumers that there is any value to their detailed reviews, or any truth in them. This statement is simply saying: “We don’t care whether we’re telling the truth, we have no interest in integrity or content.” Relax, Mr. Ebaen, I caught my fish, and he’s now stuffed and hanging on the wall for all to see. And Ken Micallef is sighing with relief that you’ve saved his job for him; he can continue living a farce.

Of course we now have no problem about whether Mr. Micallef will rush to apply to the JREF in order to be tested before Dr/Major David Morehouse, Ph.D., snaps up this prize for his “remote viewing” skills, as featured last week. We won’t have to decide who gets to be tested first!

I must mention that we’ve had difficulties trying to discover where Dr/Major David Morehouse, Ph.D., earned his degree, and we cannot find any record of his holding the rank of Major in any of the US Armed Forces, either. Perhaps he’s a Major in the Canadian or Australian Army? Inquiring minds want to know…. "

If you really want to laugh, go read his review on this special 17,000 interconnect called indra or something. He has a wonderful imagination i think

There is some pretty shocking stuff for sale on the site selling the super tweeters.

Check this...

Intelligent Chip (GSIC) CD/DVD/SACD Upgrade.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Description/Theory: The Intelligent Chip is a "new generation," high-tech device that corrects a particular problem inherent in all commercial CD/DVD/SACD discs, including movies and video games. This problem is produced by slight fluctuations in the master clock(s) when pressing the disc. This "clock fluctuation" problem (jitter) is one reason why consumer digital discs frequently "don't sound quite right," or have a "high-frequency edge."

The Intelligent Chip is a thin, orange 1x1.5 inch rectangular wafer that automatically upgrades the disc in the player when the Chip is placed momentarily on top of the player above the spinning disc. The upgrade itself is virtually instantaneous - and permanent - the sound and picture of the upgraded disc more closely resembling the original master recording. The Intelligent Chip corrects the clock-fluctuation problem within 2 seconds, resulting in sound that is clearer/less distorted, with a deeper soundstage, more "air" and lower background noise. This improvement is especially apparent on very good discs.

So I'm supposed to believe that waving this chip across the top of a CD in the player will upgrade the CD? Yeah, OK, I'll buy one, I'll keep it next to my magic beans....

Supertweeters have enormous placebo effect. So everyone wants them to "upgrade" their systems, but this upgrade is only visual, nothing more.

Inteligent chip? What ********. I've read about it in Stereophile. Another placebo.

They just want your $$$.

I think that what they propose is dangerous if really it work in the microwaves range. I have worked for 10 year as engineer in the satellite telecommunications

1) Microwaves are dangerous for the health ! that will burn your brain and causes cancer.

2) to conduct microwaves you need a special cable (waves guide) or a coaxial cable if you are under a certain frequency.

3) to reflect microvawes you need aluminium or other metal (how it will help the wood horn??) ,like your satelite dish to receive disney Channel O-O
'°'

There are a lot of of Internet reviewer (curiously you have not to pay in order to read the stupid things that are written) that are not serious as nice is the plublication.

We have to doubt about the other articles written by this reviewers. (Strangly Tannoy has never heard about the tannoy Cornetto...nor Teac Japan).

If you like a good tip an trick to hear a good sound, spend some money for a pair of tannoy 12" or 15" on e-bay and put it in a GRF Rectangular (easy to build). Build your one 300B Single ended DYI (with the Monay win from the ultra tweeter you can buy a silver Output transformer). Buy a good CD player (Arcam for example) and enjoy !

It is "loly" !

These guys have problems exposing themselves to microwaves emitted by a wooden horn :D

More than this, they make a fundamental confusion !!

Acoustic waves are NOT electromagnetic waves.

Acoustic waves make some air move, whereas EM waves are a eam of oscillating particles, and can propagate themselves in vacuum.

Ghz frequencies need to be carried by special cables, because of the skin effect. Let me think about a "flexible and light" cable : that doesn't sounds like a good audio cable no ?!

I doubt any transducer can oscillate up to Ghz in the air anyway!!

Apart from that, I have read in a science magazine that it was possible to reproduce audible frequencies with ultrasonics : two ultrasonic waves are sent not exactly in phase on a point : they will produce a lower frequency, due to the oscillations of the two beams periodically having dips and peaks when added not in phase. But this system wasn't working in the Ghz !!! And it only works at a precise point (it was originally used in a concept-car to guide the driver without annoying the passengers)

Concerning the clever chip LOL !!!

If CDs are so sensitive to a chip's presence, I'll be able to hack any electronics arround ;)

Just my 2c :smash:

youyoung, you're totally right.
Besides,
A) making a GHz transducer in air is incredably difficult and
B) the attenuation coeff of MHz waves in air is already 100dB/m, by the time you got to GHz it wouldn't make it more than a couple oscillations. Completely stupid.

The other system you're talking about is probably
http://www.atcsd.com/hss.html
It works by sending two ultrasonic (like 50+kHz) waves seperated (in frequency) by the audio signal. Thus their beat frequency is in the audible! Since ultrasonics are easy to collimate, it's then extremely directional. I got a chance to hear it about a year ago. Pretty cool stuff! Although, the implications of talking vending machines and grocery isles worry me. :(

-Brian

If you can't stand your hifi, go into the kitchen and stick your head in the microwave. I'm too young to be a human BBQ!

Oh, by the way, a rather fundamental point this: can anyone think of any signal a speaker is likely to recieve that comes near to this?
CD: capped at approx 22KHz.
LP -goes up to around 38KHz on a very good day.
DVD-A Goes up to a max of 96KHz.
SACD -goes up to approx 100KHZ, but it might as well not bother thanks to the massive noise above 20KHz.
Pray tell, where in the name of procrastinating pelicans is 'the signal' (Ho ho) to these empty boxes (anyone want to take odds on the contents?!) coming from? Oh, of course, delusional telepathy.
That's sorted that one out then.

I like those sound chips. No power, yet it has a finite limit of 'working' (I can feel my ribs cracking), I believe, 15 times.
Chilling what mugs people are. The shrinks would have a field day. I make no apologies for being a fan of ABX tests, or wanting measurements. If you can't measure it, it doesn't exist. Audio is science, not black magic.

Saw this link on Boing Boing

Three M.A.D. (Magnetic Acoustic Devices) from HPV Technologies (www.getmad.us), during a demo for military, law enforcement, and government tech experts from the US and abroad, at Edwards Air Force Base in Palmdale (Sep 1, 2005). The devices are capable of broadcasting a highly focused, "laser-like" beam of sound in such a way that it is intelligible for a mile or more. The event was organized by the LA Sherriff's Department, which is considering using the devices for civil unrest and disaster communications. A donated device will be shipped to authorities in Mississippi for those purposes this week.

Pictures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.