veneer, enamel or lacquer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2005, 05:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default veneer, enamel or lacquer

hivi dg6 TWW config w/ vifa tweet...what do u think would be the best?
Old 14th August 2005, 04:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

i decided on rustoleum black lacquer. any tips on a painfree application?
Old 14th August 2005, 05:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Spend a couple of weeks, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, etc. until you get a perfectly good smooth primer coat, with no signs of the wood underneath. Then add the top coat(s), lightly sanding between applications.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th August 2005, 02:56 AM   #4
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Default After Pinkmouse's advice:

Use something that dries faster than rustoleum. Find a car laquer that is the colour that you want and use it. Speaking about spray cans. If you have a spray gun get a pigmented laquer the colour you want.

Why?

An oil based paint like the rustolwum will take along time to dry. It will get a lot more dust trapped in the surface, along with bugs and all sorts of wierd things. It will be a pain compared toa fast drying laquer.

Mark
Old 15th August 2005, 03:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: After Pinkmouse's advice:

Quote:
Originally posted by mwmkravchenko
Use something that dries faster than rustoleum. Find a car laquer that is the colour that you want and use it. Speaking about spray cans. If you have a spray gun get a pigmented laquer the colour you want.

Why?

An oil based paint like the rustolwum will take along time to dry. It will get a lot more dust trapped in the surface, along with bugs and all sorts of wierd things. It will be a pain compared toa fast drying laquer.

Mark
what do you suggest then?
Old 15th August 2005, 03:13 AM   #6
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Default This is what I sugest

Quote:
Find a car laquer that is the colour that you want
If the rustoleum is truly a fast drying laquer than you are fine. If it is an slow drying oil based paint then you will have the trouble that I mentioned. So the advice in a nutshell is something that dries fast. ( flashes off in about 5 minutes )

Mark
Old 15th August 2005, 03:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: This is what I sugest

Quote:
Originally posted by mwmkravchenko

If the rustoleum is truly a fast drying laquer than you are fine. If it is an slow drying oil based paint then you will have the trouble that I mentioned. So the advice in a nutshell is something that dries fast. ( flashes off in about 5 minutes )

Mark

no i mean what lacquer do u suggest
Old 15th August 2005, 03:34 AM   #8
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Default Pretty much the same thing

I live in Canada my friend. I have acces to all the brands that you do. But I don't know what is available to you locally. The key to remember is the laquer base. Any car paint that you find in a can will be a laquer base if they say that it dries to the touch in about 20 minutes.

Brands are not that big a deal untill you get good enough to tell the differences. A frankly I have sprayed so many things with so many different paints that it amounts to build/coat and flash time. Any good quality car paint will do a good job. Surface prep is the most important thing.

I hope this helps!

Mark
Old 15th August 2005, 03:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You just need to seal the wood. A thin quick coat of polyurethane will do that.
Then check your library for Bob Flexner’s "Understanding Wood Finishing" book on finishing wood. He has written the seminal text on it & it is easier than you think. Much less sanding that you would imagine.
Old 15th August 2005, 01:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by warren o
You just need to seal the wood. A thin quick coat of polyurethane will do that.
Then check your library for Bob Flexner’s "Understanding Wood Finishing" book on finishing wood. He has written the seminal text on it & it is easier than you think. Much less sanding that you would imagine.
i did 4 coats of polyurethane sandable primer/sealer, starting with 150 grit ending with 320 grit. i hope its alright cause it feels like i could iceskate on it it's so smooth

Hide this!Advertise here!