Free XO optimising software? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2002, 04:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Free XO optimising software?

Hi people!

I'm a DIY loudspeaker n00b looking for free (or very cheap) crossover design software, something along the lines of CALSOD. Any suggestions? Links? Info?

I'm building some vented 2-way floorstanders with Jaycar (Aus designed) 6.5" polycone mid/woofers and 1" Vifa tweeters. I've been reading Dickason's loudspeaker design cookbook and now have some idea regarding crossover design but i don't really feel confident enough to design them myself. I'm shooting for reasonable bass and good imaging, mainly for 2 channel, alt-rock, metal and electronic music use.

I'm fairly happy about what i'm going to do about the cabinet, but i get the feeling that XO design is the real art of loudspeaker design, so i'm basically after all the info i can get. Books are good, but real people are better...

Thanks in advance...
Old 23rd September 2002, 02:44 PM   #2
f4ier is offline f4ier  Australia
diyAudio Member

Speaker Workshop comes to mind. Watch out for more updates of the packages from the FRD Group.
Old 23rd September 2002, 05:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

As for commercial software, the Australian-made SoundEasy is probably the best value for money right now. It may not be cheap (at US$250), but it the best and most feature-rich in its price range. But wait for Ver. 6, which will add T/S extraction, distortion, motor and suspension non-linearity extraction etc. as well as enhancements to its existing electrical and acoustical measurement system.

Isaac

(I just found out we can't edit our messages after 30min. )
Old 24th September 2002, 04:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks f4ier, Speaker Workshop looks like the goods.

Next question:

What do people think of Vifa D25AG-35 aluminium cone tweeters? It's a double chamber ferrofluid tweeter with an Fs of 850Hz. Any opinions?
Old 24th September 2002, 04:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

SoundEasy is a POS, plain and simple. Powerfull, but the interface is absolutely terrible. I purchased SE V4, even though others told me it would be a mistake. I gave it a serious try and I have to say AutoCAD is easier to use! Anyway, buy anything else but SE.

Rob
Old 24th September 2002, 05:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

koen, D25AG-35s have been described as too zippy, bright or in your face But you won't be disapointed if you've been used to the sound of metal tweeters. Consider the XT25TG30-04 as well. It has a nice flat response down to <1kHz, which helps your mid/woofer a bit by not having to cross too high into its breakup region. 2kHz+ would be a good start, but that's just looking at the datasheet. Someone with actual experience with the drivers will have to take over from here Andy G. has worked with the above-mentioned drivers as well as some Jaycar units

Rob, I'd rather figure out SE than SW
I agree that SE's interface could use some rearranging, but it seems to be what tinkerers and engineers prefer or at least they're fine with it Windows LEAP, now that's one package I'm eager to see. All that talk about needing a killer PC to realize its full potential has got me thinking what the new version can do.

Isaac
Old 24th September 2002, 05:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's what i'm worried about - the speakers being too 'bright' - but the low Fs sold me, i'd read that you could cross these quiet low (~1800Hz) with good results. The mids i'll be using aren't great, so...

I suppose that if they're irritatingly bright i could add some high frequency attenuation to 'dull' the top end response, yeah?

Hide this!Advertise here!