'Perceive v2.0' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ShinOBIWAN said:

Thanks Steve,

So what are you doing about the drivers? Are you coming down to collect them? You could drop it off then if you like, just leave it with my brother.

Awaiting details from your brother me old skipjack amigo. I could post it to you, not a lot of weight to it really! Email me your addy should you want it sooner.

As for the finish, I'd go for the first option of mainly black with silver behind. Have you thought of a textured finish with certain areas? I personally like a good satin finish - but theres a alluring quality to a deep gloss.....

Steve

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
Have you considered having the (I'm assuming metal) tube be normal to the base of the speaker instead of at an angle? I think that could look better.

Hi motion,

I did try that out but prefered the look of the one at 45degrees to the base and it was also more stable. Whilst the cabinets aren't huge, they are however extremely heavy thank to all the bracing, 4" baffles not to mention the drivers themselves.

The rendering is actually incorrect because there's two 1.5" diameter brushed aluminium supports rather than a single larger one.

Hi! ShinObiwan

I am very interested in your work as I plan to build a no trade loudspeaker for my pleasure. While reading this thread and the
"how to" for FIR I admit that I am impressed.
On my side I plan to use this device: Pro C28 FIR Controller
http://www.klein-hummel.com/html/studio/studio_index_e.htm
because I can get one at dirt cheap price (a studio that unfortunately went to bankrupt).

I am looking for best of the drivers and the ATC drivers seem to undergo a kind of hipe. As is impossible to get any curve about those jewels.... and it's possible, I'd like to have a look
at your measurements of the SM75 and others.
You can send me any kind of file including all the files compatibles with Lspcad...
Thanks in advance

@+
Maiky

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I've been living with these now for just over a month now and I think I can offer a more level headed opinion than my initial 'WOW' thoughts I posted a few pages back.

I've been tweaking the XO's constantly and I'm really comming around to the extremely steep slopes(100dB/Oct+), especially on the bass-mid transition. I've got around 5 xo setups and out of those the one with the very steep slopes just sounds much more right, the soundstage in particular is brilliant with this xo.

My enthusiasm really hasn't died down any since my initial thoughts, these are absolutely smackbang amazing. I'll tell you how bad these speakers have me:

• I'll be at work and occasionally think about what I can listen to when I get home or recall the experience of something I listened to the previous evening. Its laughable but on most days I've actually been listening to a track or two before I leave for work too . Really whenever I get a chance, I'll be listening to them.
  • During the drive home I'll be looking forward to listening to them again.
  • I find myself buying music that I wouldn't normally listen to just so I can experience it on the speakers!
  • I've invited just about anyone and everyone I know to come have a listen, then stood and watched their faces. Most don't say a word until after the first few tracks, its great fun to see the disbelief on someones face caused by something you've built. My dad who's a big KEF fan has been sneaking up for listening sessions every weekend since they were finished!

All in all, these are stunning and I sometimes find it hard to take in that I've built them when you consider just how astonishing the sound is.

This all sounds like a big back slapping excercise but the truth is I've been fitting my life around listening to these speakers as often as I can, I really can't give a higher recommendation than that.

Finally with regards to pics of the fully finished articles; not happening unfortunately because the weather here in the UK sucks! Unless we have freak weather on the days I happen to have off work then these won't be finished until March time next year.

Ant

Hi Shin,

sincere congratulations, it's great to hear someone who is happy with his system and can actually give good reasons for it...

One thing I also noticed: in your initial posts and efforts, you were often abrasive and sometimes unaware of some technicalities (not that I know it all for sure myself, just noticing).

But after a short while, you actually sucked it all up, admitted mistakes, learned from them, and by now you give me the impression that you have as deep and broad an expertise as maybe the top 5% on this forum. You've really become an expert, including in technologies that few use around here (FIR). Your posts are also much more carefully balanced now.

And this is what's most amazing, and this is also what makes your comments credible. Too bad I don't have a chance to listen to your setup...

Shin, Glad to see everything worked out. I was wondering if you ever managed to post THD,IMD,CSD graphs of your drivers? I think they would be of great interest to the community. Very few people have your driver budget and you would be one of the very few people that could test these drivers.

Thread hijack on.

MBK, you mentioned you were doing a project with some Scan 8543s, how did that turn out? Do you have a thread or website detailing your speakers?

Thread hijack off.

Hi Mbutzkies,

my 8543's have not arrived from Madisound yet... Supposedly they come in end of November. I'll update when I know more, probably in this thread.

Since my system keeps changing I also haven't finalized any proper system description yet. The 8543 will replace the fullrange mid I am using now. I posted some pics, one of which is here .

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hey guys,

Made a move on the AKSA's:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Was hoping to have them up and running this weekend to see what all the fuss is about but I've had a couple more pressing matters so it'll have to wait a while. I must say I'm impressed with Hugh's presentation of the AKSA kit.

And finally here's a comedy shot of the ATC vs. Seas woofer:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.