Dull mind looking for speaker help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i recently acquired some free speakers from a very kind person. They look great aestheticly speaking, but they are however moderatly dated radioshack speakers. I would love to reuse the cabinets for some decent speakers. I'm using them just in my bedroom for my stereo setup with a yamaha cr-640 and a technics turntable. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of anything i could do with these dimensions.
the heigth is approximately 26 inches, the width is 14 inches and the depth is 12. these are all approximate.
the 2 speakers in it currently are a small 2 inch tweater on top and a 10" woofer i'd assume on the bottom. does anyone have any ideas? usually i run these things by my roomate as he has more knowledge about them, but he seems at a loss as well. any direction is much appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just renewing drivers in a cabinet is pretty tricky business. If you can remove the drivers and trace back the parameters, you might be able to match. Otherwise you look through the Parts Express catalogue and pick a couple of matching drivers and hope for the best. You will also have to consider what you are going to do for the crossover.

Cal

If the box is 1/2" thick, the internal dimensions are = 13w x 25h x 11 d
for a 58.6 Litre (2.07 cu. ft.) box.
If the box is 3/4" thick, the internal dimensions are = 12 1/2w x 24 1/2h x 10 1/2 d....
for a 62.7 Litre ( 1.86 cu. ft.) box.

The trouble with a 10" two-way is getting the woofer to cross pretty high.

They can usually go up to 1200 hz. The trouble with this setup is the
midrange is going to sound heavy and slow. That's a lot of piston mass to vibrate very fast. It would be better to cross a 10" at or below 400 hz.
As an experiment I crossed an 8" at 900 hz. and couldn't stand the mids, especially female vocals. I then crossed at 500 hz and it cleared up the mids very well. The vocals then sounded very natural.
Now to find the drivers to match your box?????
If it was 'I' I would probably go with a 3-way. Depending on what music you listen to????
Us on the web can probably find suitable drivers.

Attachments

• fina006.jpg
    fina006.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 172
thanks a ton for the advice guys. I had been considering putting another speaker in the box and trying to come up with a nice crossover as well. i opened them up the other day and the entire inside was filled with pink insulation... don't really know what to make of that, the 10 inch speaker was a realistick? if i remember correctly. i will look at the kit mentioned at speakerbuilder once i get off work :p and maybe put up some pics of the cabinets.

small 2 inch tweater on top and a 10" woofer i'd assume on the bottom.

You could do a very simple system with a 2-3" widerange driver like the Tang Band 871, Hivi B3N, or Aurasound NS3, crossed over nice and low, perhaps around where baffle step starts to kick in, to a nice 10 woofer like a peerles CSX series or dayton RS.

This would have fairly low effieciency, but there IMO this type of design can sound very satisfying, especially in the lower registers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.