New Seas tweeters tested - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2005, 04:59 PM   #1
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New Seas tweeters tested

Click the image to open in full size.

Tweeter Mishmash

The new Seas 22TAFG and 29TFFW have been tested, along with the Vifa DX25 and D26NC55.

Ironically, the best performer in the group is the older Vifa D26NC55 small flange neo tweeter. That really surprised me!

Regards,
John
Old 7th August 2005, 05:05 PM   #2
hyl2369 is offline hyl2369  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

yes ! thanks but no excel series...
Old 7th August 2005, 05:14 PM   #3
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Why does the web site refer to seas 27TBxxx as the best in the group?
Old 7th August 2005, 05:28 PM   #4
DearSX is offline DearSX  United States
diyAudio Member

cool, I'm happy to know how does work. although the $5 ones interests me as much as the other ones. $20 MT, here I come.

thanks for sharing.

do you happen to know any cheap mids ($5-10) that can match. I was thinking about putting my money towards a behninger EQ/crossover. and getting better sound out of these.
Old 7th August 2005, 05:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Gutted!

I saw the title and thought 'Hey! I can't wait to see the new Crescendo meanurements'

Good work all the same so thanks John.
Old 7th August 2005, 07:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc
Yes I'm very interested in this too - I've been meaning to post about this for awhile. This is a $30.00 tweeter, and John prefers it to the Millenium, at over four times the cost - so I'd rather save my money!

So, does anyone (John, please feel free to chime in here) have experience with both of these tweeters, and have you come to similar conclusions as John's? I've always used soft dome tweets but I'll make the jump to metal in a heartbeat if there's a good consensus out there about this particular line of SEAS.

Sidebar - SL uses the Mil in the Orion - maybe only because of the lower x-over point? I wonder if he would use something else if there was a more "conventional" x-over point - but this would change the design of the Orion considerably, maybe to a four-way, which he, and most of us, would never do!
Old 7th August 2005, 07:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I believe that John bases his opinion on value rather than outright performance.
Old 7th August 2005, 07:47 PM   #8
dbdell is offline dbdell  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
I believe that John bases his opinion on value rather than outright performance.

Hi Interesting...
what mids would you recomend to go with the seas recomended im still attached to t33s have several pairs but realise there are better alternatives but find they do offer me a good reference point to tinkerings but they must go for a slightly more modern replacement (even though my ears are no more modern) im setting up a 7.1 all amps and spks built myself am using audax htmo i think pretty good but not a good mathch to my fronts which have jmlabs6.5polykevlars very bright!!!(again good for testing) but am looking fo a more relaxed ambience less clinical but with all information (sorry dont meen to drone on).
you are in England so few on this site it seems .. Where do you source your drivers???
I hear people mention your cost preference which i like especially when you design with a view to commercial development as this has a massive effect on rrp.
Thanks dbDell.................................
Old 7th August 2005, 07:47 PM   #9
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc
Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
Simply put, because it *is* the best in the group, even regardless of cost. If the Millennium only cost $30, I'd still buy the 27TBFCG. Of course the build quality of the Millennium is excellent. I love the thick metal frame. But the 27TBFCG sounds and measures better. So does the 27TDFC and several other tweeters for that matter.

Sorry guys, no Crescendo measurements. $500/pr for tweeters is a little too rich for my blood. Well, I could afford it but I just feel like there's better things to do with that much money. If the Crescendo uses the same motor as the Millennium, there's pretty much no hope for it to be a major improvement. These days, high end means copper shorting rings and machined internals for low air restriction through the pole piece. The Millennium has none of that.

Quote:
Originally posted by sdclc126

So, does anyone (John, please feel free to chime in here) have experience with both of these tweeters, and have you come to similar conclusions as John's? I've always used soft dome tweets but I'll make the jump to metal in a heartbeat if there's a good consensus out there about this particular line of SEAS.
You might want to check Mark K's pages, He tested all of these. I know he compared the Millennium to the 27TDFC, and found the 27TDFC to be better. Generally, my results agree with Mark's.

Mark K's Millennium tests
Mark K's 27TBFCG tests

Yes, SL did use the Millennium in the Orions, but be aware that design is now pretty old. The Millenniums may have been the best thing available back when the Orion came out.
Old 7th August 2005, 09:57 PM   #10
DearSX is offline DearSX  United States
diyAudio Member

zaph....please tell me...do you think the silver flute 5" and Dayton nd20 can work well together? I was thinking perhaps they can mate well together, crossed over at 3600hz. not sure if the silver flute has energy storage or distortion at the frequency. or other issues.

Hide this!Advertise here!