How do my speakers compare?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ThSpeakerDude88 said:
I was actually thinking of rebuilding the cabinets out of oak ply, only making them taller ( woofer set higher off the floor)

Much better than just bracing the original.

Whats puzzlecoating?

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/tweeks.html

what do you mean by "ductsealing the baskets?"

Do a search for some comments.... here is one.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23468&highlight=

An example of a ductsealed driver... the mids & tweeters will also benefit.

dave

Attachments

• ductsealed-40-1197s.jpg
    ductsealed-40-1197s.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 188
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ThSpeakerDude88 said:
so sealing the space between the mag and the basket is ductsealing?

The Ductseal damps basket resonances, so unlike the 4 which has no basket legs you would put some on the legs as well. You also use it to make the shape of the basket streamlined.

Another example (12" Philips) attached. These have also been puzzlecoated. Used as subs the streamlining was less important

I may just buy new drivers for my new cabs and sell the marantzes.

What Carlos said

Attachments

• modded-philips12s.jpg
    modded-philips12s.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 122
well I puzzlecoated them, they look great! as its 11:45 PM right now, I can only test low frequency low-volume signals right now, will test with music tomarrow. I did notice my 25 hz responce is up quite a bit, its at least noticable, although totally unuseable in my size room. *sigh* don't clip low level signals as they blow tweeters.... I'm repairing one right now :(

ok I was able to test them today! I can crank the bass a little louder now, the lower frequencies have more resonance. And they look nice. Anyways, I was up untill 3:30 AM last night repairing the one tweeter that was blown, I found out my other one was fine. I had to recoil/recone the one tweeter. I used a 4 ohm ferro fluid tweeter from a JVC, I just removed the coil/spider assembly and made my own cone. Looks ok, its not as loud as the original but at least the sounds "there" now. I was thinking, how about replacing both of them with dome tweeters? Could I get some that fit the holes designed for 3 inchers?

Also, which is best. Theres textile dome, metal dome, and poly-dome/ titanium tweeters. Which is best to use? I don't wanna spend a whole lot of money on them, the lowest amount possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.