Advice on building powered computer speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2002, 09:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Advice on building powered computer speakers

This is my first post, so please be gentle!

I'd like to build a pair of small speakers for use with the computer or to act as powered speakers for a walkman/discman, and would like some recommendations of existing projects worth trying.

Normally I'd choose small 2 way bookshelf type speakers with a cheap receiver, but, these would be for a gift and I'd like to build the speakers with the amp/preamp built in similar to store bought computer speakers.

The people I have in mind for the gift are those odd types that think more pieces of electronics are bad not good. Therefore, I'd like to build speakers that can 'plug and play.'

My budget is $100 to $150 for the drivers/crossover parts/amps.

I had originally thought that I'd be able to easily find little pre-made amps for mini-speakers much like there are pre-made amps for subwoofers, but I haven't been able to find them.

I'm an electronics newbie, so I don't think I would be capable of designing my own amps, so an easy to build kit or a pre-made amp is essential.

So, can you DIY gods out there please recommend:
- cool small speaker project
(with drivers/crossover design/cabinet design)
- ideas for adding an amp/preamp to the speakers a'la powered computer speakers

I'm hoping a pair of these DIY for $100-$150 should kill those ugly plastic monstrosities most people have attached to their PCs!

Thanks in advance!

Pete
Old 20th September 2002, 10:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

www.apexjr.com has some nice little Alesis amp modules for $5. You'd need to build a power supply for them. But he's got cheap transformers ($10) and caps too. So you could probably make something cheap based on these. Note though that they are designed for bi-amping.

Hide this!Advertise here!