Audio virgin! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2005, 03:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audio virgin!

Hello gentlemen,
I was recently introduced to DIY audio via the sonic T-amp which has now been improved into quite a tidy little amp. I now need to get some decent speaker attached to ensure I'm getting the most out of my investment (however cheap it was!)
If I look at low budget monitors like the Wharf. diamond 9.1's for example, they are cheap and sound pretty good in a room as small as mine (approx. 3Mx5M).
My question is: (at last! you say), what could I produce by hand that would sound better than that, at a similarily low cost?
Any (polite) sugestions on drivers/enclosure etc would be most appreciated.
I used to be a model maker so the cabinets would not be an issue.
Thanks in advance....

Damn... why didn't I think of that!
Old 2nd August 2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Welcome aboard! It has become common knowledge around here that it is harder for DIY to compete with cheaper speakers which are produced by the thousands and offer pretty good value. Be that as it may, there are some good inexpensive designs out there. I'll try to get a list together. HOw much do trhe Wharfs sell for in your area? Some of the full range type speakers offer a lot of value. I hope others see this thread!
Old 2nd August 2005, 06:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Since nobody else has given you the pre-requisite prodding. What sort of music is this for, and how loud does it need to get? The more you let people know about your situation, the more they can help you out.
Old 2nd August 2005, 07:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank's Variac and Velmeran42, it's nice to have a warm welcome.
Please understand that I am somewhat of an infant in the world of High Fidelity so treat me with kid gloves as they say.
I will be listening to quite low/medium volumes with easy listening the key! Some rousing tunes will stir many an evening but currently I'm listening to a mix of Pink Floyd and Damien Rice with a sprinkle of Jazz(not too off-the-wall).
The Diamonds are a seriously good buy at 180 + stands (about $320 + stands) but I am willing to spend more if the returns are justifiable.
I guess with this amp I need pretty sensitive drivers that respond at lower volumes, is this directly linked with the 4>6 ohm units?
Now I'm starting to assume......I'll let the professionals show me the way.
Old 2nd August 2005, 07:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You're welcome Lostcause. I'm a newb on these forums myself, and new to hi-fi (my experience lies in car-fi). So now that you've established the cost of what you where looking at, and your music preference people may start to throw in some recomendations. Other usefull info is if you have a sub already, are willing to get one, or are looking for an "all in one" solution. I'm currently finishing up a set of MTM ported speakers w/ a response down to <40Hz to save myself from needing a sub for the moment. Good luck with your journey into hi-fi.
Old 2nd August 2005, 08:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks again, the thought of a sub is also at the back of my mind, however I like punchy sharp bass and not too much of it as I will be quite close to them.
Saying that..... give it a couple of months of reading the antics of this lot and I'll be spending a fortune on making my home into a sound stage
Old 2nd August 2005, 08:18 PM   #7
Lionel is offline Lionel  France
diyAudio Member

As far as I know the sonic T-amp is a low power amp so why don't you watch to :

Full-range NG

for high dynamic speakers.

Good luck.
Old 2nd August 2005, 09:12 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lostcause
give it a couple of months of reading the antics of this lot and I'll be spending a fortune on making my home into a sound stage
The mortgage can wait.

Welcome to the forums

Cal
Old 2nd August 2005, 09:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Audio virgin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lostcause

low budget monitors

a room as small as mine (approx. 3Mx5M).
Yesterday a friend of mine picked up the CesT's he ordered from me. They are 10 liter bass-reflex cabinets with one Monacor SPH-60X in it, with an F3 of 60hz.
One driver is around 27. So lets say 60 material cost/pair.

the same evening he sent me an email saying they give a lot more bass than he expected in his 3*4m room, and I quote: "wie-hie ;-)"
Long live room gain! I'd say

He listens mostly to Enigma, Bent, Saint germain, and other jazzy and lounge stuff. So maybe you like this design.

If you want, I could post all the (construction)details and my source for the drivers ...

Edit: Woops, seems my proposition is WAY under your budget. I read your post too fast.
Maybe something with Fostex 206E in it? There is lots of info on those in the fullrange forum, and they are rather high efficiency too.
Old 2nd August 2005, 10:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback guy's, looks like I'm looking in the wrong forum then?
I'll re-post in fullrange after a good search.

Hide this!Advertise here!