1st project questions (Hawaii 5.0)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1. What is the cheapest thing I can do to make the cabinets look pretty? The cost of the total project isnt that much so I dont want to spend much on veneering. What do you guys suggest? Paint? What kind and how?

2. anyone try an LR filter with the hawaii?
I got the information from this link

3. What is fiberglass for damping? How thick should it be and is it just any fiberglass? Any clue on where i can get it locally like home depot?

4. What's fiberfill? Is that just Polyfill? Where can I get it for cheap?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mFinalHeaven said:
1. What is the cheapest thing I can do to make the cabinets look pretty? The cost of the total project isnt that much so I dont want to spend much on veneering. What do you guys suggest? Paint? What kind and how?

A sock or some hammertone (or other textured) paint

2. anyone try an LR filter with the hawaii?
I got the information from this link

Most people who try a passive BSC report good results across a broad range of mono-pole speakers.

3. What is fiberglass for damping? How thick should it be and is it just any fiberglass? Any clue on where i can get it locally like home depot?

This is just house insulation -- the problem isn't getting it, it is avoiding being left with a big bag of the stuff after you are done. Also available on the inside of many old speaker boxes (i have garbage bags full).

4. What's fiberfill? Is that just Polyfill? Where can I get it for cheap?

Available at craft or sewing stores, probably at Wally World, or any number of dept. stores. Comes in blankets which would be useful for lining the walls of BR or in fluff for filling a sealed box or using in a TL.

Have you checked out Steven Brown's modified Hawaiis?

dave

I am done gluing the speakers tonite. It was quite an interesting experience. I learned a lot and things to watch out for in the next project. Not having the right tools wasted a lot of the time, but it is a worthy experience.

One thing I forgot to do is hang a curtain of fiberglass and damp the walls. I hope this doesnt change the sound too much. Maybe I should cut open the back and damp the walls and reglue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.