TQWP/horn - is it any good? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2005, 09:20 PM   #1
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default TQWP/horn - is it any good?

I came across this design fr a TQWP/horn speaker and wondered if anybody had tried it or heard one.

I have some eitht inch full-range drivers with a Qts of around 1 and was wondering if I could use them in the same cabinet.
Old 23rd July 2005, 04:59 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I haven't heard them.... but the hype sure left me shaking my head....

dave
Old 23rd July 2005, 05:55 AM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

I don't have any experience with that particular horn, but I've built them and they sound exactly like they say they do when loaded with a hi-def driver.

Unfortunately, accurate they're not and I find them exceedingly fatiguing. Great DJ/party speakers though. Never measure one if you're a 'techie' as they have a response ~like this, only more so: http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/Pa...20Voigt%20Pipe

GM
Old 23rd July 2005, 08:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't have any experience with that particular horn, but I've built them and they sound exactly like they say they do when loaded with a hi-def driver.
GM, that's a bit confusing! Are you saying that you have not built that particular horn but you have built others and that they are all fatiguing to listen to?
Old 23rd July 2005, 02:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Yes.

?! What's confusing? Would it be confusing if I said I haven't built a particular bass reflex alignment, but built others that had ~the same alignment and found them to be 'boomy'? I bet not, so what makes this design/my observations any different?

Anyway, I notice I didn't answer your other Q. These alignments are fairly driver 'friendly', so if your high Q driver sounds too 'boomy', 'gap' it away from the baffle as required to 'bleed' off some of its excess midbass. If too much BW comes out, then use some polyfil or similar in the gap to make it more aperiodic. Another option to try is wrapping the backside of the driver to create a ~aperiodic filter chamber.

GM
Old 23rd July 2005, 03:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What's confusing?
I was confused as I have not heard people describe all of one type of speaker as 'fatiguing'! I know that horns can 'shout' but there must be one or two good designs.

Thanks for your suggestions though. I hope to scrounge some materials to knock up some cabinets and try them.
Old 23rd July 2005, 06:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Using your example, horns that don't 'shout' are a different alignment to those that do, ergo you can change this type of BLH to sound less fatiguing, but then while it will still be a BLH it won't be the same basic design.

Anyway, it's just how I feel about them, so as always YMMV and looking forward to your impressions.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!