What is the most durable 8" high xmax woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This seems to take the cake as far as 8" subs go IMHO, but unfortunately it IS a car sub. Don't know how it would sound (other than loud) at home. Most of the serious home stuff is larger dia.. Certainly looks durable though:eek: . Looks capable of launching a mortar round.

cheers,

AJ

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sardonx said:
Who makes those? and how much are they? (audiobahn?)

It's interesting that the mounting holes are only at the back of the plate.

They kind of look like those apple imac mini speakers... except 50 times bigger

that's the JL w7... www.jlaudio.com

it's around $500 if I'm not mistaken...

also the surround covers the mounting holes for a "clean" look

Well yes some midrange reproduction would be expected. I doubt that i'll actually be able to do this any time soon (due to the cost) but the only reason i was asking about a robust 8" is because i think it would be cool to use a very small sealed enclosure (made of thick steel maybe) and EQ the bass (ELF or BASSIS type) and use the ATC mid with some sort of ribbon on top. It could be used as a really small yet abnormally powerful near field monitor. Especially if actively amplified with say a few hundred solid state watts on the bass, OTL on the mid and highs (single ended for the ribbon) it would also sound abnormally refined.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.