guage of wire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I've built boxex for my speakers but now its the moment of truth, putting together my x-overs. before I lay the cct down on some thind mdf, just a few quetions

1.How should I bond the components to the board so they don't fall of, is carpenters glue fine?

2.What guage of wire should I use to connect the CCT, here are the terminals I'm using http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-300
I'm not sure if I should use anything under 12 guage, or if there's a rule I should follow or what

3.For connecting the components, should I just solder connections together?

Well I don't know what is the "right" way to do things, but I'll tell you what I did:

1: I used industrial strength hot glue. Not that hobby stuff, it's far too weak.

2: I used the same wire I used between the amp and the speakers. Generally the thicker the wire the better, but I wouldn't go any less that 16 guage. I am not a fan of spring terminals myself, they just don't make a very good connection. I would pay the extra buck or two for this or this.

3: That would be best.

I use perfboard and hobby hotmelt glue. For heavy components I add cable ties. I think attaching the board to the bottom of the box with velcro is handy.....

Wire gauge or type doesn't matter one bit, as long as it is reasonable size (16gauge or bigger). Your choice of solid or stranded depends on preference of whether it is flexible or bends and stays put......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.