Using Goertz foil inductor AW12 got mid driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Inductors

Dont use foil inductors, try to use some nice 10AWG air core inductors (the thicker the better), foils cost more and only skew the capacitance which ISNT GOOD!

Actually the capacitance of the foil inductors is still so low that it is of no consequence. Pick a value and I'll tell you how much capacitance it has.

In many side by side A/B tests I concluded that the foil inductors clearly sounded better. It's a subjective assessment. Many agree and many can't tell a difference. Much may hinge on the quality of your system to allow discernment at this level. It is not huge by any means.

If you check current pricing you'll see that are not that much more than most wire wound types too.

Re: Inductors

Danny said:

Actually the capacitance of the foil inductors is still so low that it is of no consequence. Pick a value and I'll tell you how much capacitance it has.

In many side by side A/B tests I concluded that the foil inductors clearly sounded better. It's a subjective assessment. Many agree and many can't tell a difference. Much may hinge on the quality of your system to allow discernment at this level. It is not huge by any means.

If you check current pricing you'll see that are not that much more than most wire wound types too.

If they are so much better and cost the same whay do the manufacturers continue to make inferior products?, Ive done a similar A/B blind test with 8 AWG air cores & foils running on my electra clones, Then switched at ramdom, not knowing whos who, one seemed much more pronoinced in the midrange tweeters roared and bass was good, Other seemed just as good on the tweeter but the midrange was noticably worse. In the end i checked and it was my hand wound aircores that performed better, i tested others people the same way and they all agreed with me, you cant say its bad amplification, as at the time of the test i drove them with monsterous Mark Levinson ML-2s borrowed form a freind who runs a local audio shop.

If they are so much better and cost the same whay do the manufacturers continue to make inferior products?,

Maybe you should ask those manufacturers that question. I for one would not be among them.

Ive done a similar A/B blind test with 8 AWG air cores & foils running on my electra clones,

No one makes 8 gauge foil inductors that I know of. 12 gauge is the largest produced by Alpha Core.

You may have been noticing a difference due to lower DCR or just a difference that was one that you preferred, and not necessarily a better or worse scenario.

Bass response in particular will be up a little more in output due to the lower DCR, 8 gauge wire.

The comparisons that I have made have been more even comparisons.

it does not matter that foil has more capacitance that air core

im sure the capacitors everyones crossovers are +/- 5 or 10%

lets say you have a 3.9 uF cap with 5% Tolerance = +/- ~.19 uF

from madmikes numbers (.002 uF for the .68 mh ) it is not likely that capacitance added by inductors will ever approach the variability in anything but the smallest caps. so no worries and negligible capacitance effects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.