2-way System using an 8" woofer???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished my Subwoofer project, after putting it off for several months, and it turned out better than I anticipated. My 12" Shiva in its large vented enclosure puts out tremendous bass. Since the success of that project went so well, I'm ready for my next, and I want to build a pair of monitors. I originally planned to build a 2-way set using a 1" tweeter and 5-1/4" woofer, but I have a feeling the 5-1/4" woofer is going to be too small, and I am going after big sound here.

I already have the Vifa D27-35 tweeters, and I was looking at possibly using an 8" woofer in this 2-way system. In particular, the Usher 8137A found here http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=296-616

I guess my question is, by going with an 8" woofer, would I be lacking in the midrange, or would this make for a well balanced system along with the 12" Shiva? Would using an 8" woofer be better off in a 3-way system?

I really do like my highs, and would like some detailed clarity in the upper end. Are the tweeters enough to handle the job?

Thanks for any thoughts and more questions to come :)

but there is this

Hey i think that being able to play fullrange in a cabinet is a very important feature for a studio monitor.Sometimes it is REALLY good and wise to be able to check the bass content through a stereo system rather than summed in a sub.Sometimes it can also be troublesome to get a flat response using a sub.
There are many designs out there using the vifa tweeter and Im sure youll be able to find something.

Thanks for the info, and the helpful link. Looks like an 8" woofer would work, however I think I may look into some of the higher end 7" woofers as well before I make any decisions. I notice some of these 7" - 8" woofers have a frequency range up to 5000 and even 7000. With a broad range like this, does this make for a more seemless transition with the woofer and tweeter?

And for Brion55, here are a couple pics of my sub. I took more, but they all came out blurry when I opened them on my comp :xeye: But anyhow, here's how it turned out. I even made my own custom label for a true finished look :D

Attachments

• sub_1.jpg
    sub_1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 438
I just tested the movie "The Incredibles" (a great movie for action bass) and I couldn't stop smiling. So powerful, and I could feel the movie come to life. If you have any specific questions feel free to let me know.

Attachments

• sub_2.jpg
    sub_2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 422
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nrgy said:
Thanks for the info, and the helpful link. Looks like an 8" woofer would work, however I think I may look into some of the higher end 7" woofers as well before I make any decisions. I notice some of these 7" - 8" woofers have a frequency range up to 5000 and even 7000. With a broad range like this, does this make for a more seemless transition with the woofer and tweeter?

Just because the frequency response plots may show the drivers being flat up to say 5000 or even 7000Hz doesn't mean you can succesfully use it up to that.... (also doesn't mean it really is flat ;) ) some freq response curves need some very close scrutiny I think ;)

A typical 5" driver will start to beam (become very directional) at around 3000Hz going above this with a 5" starts to be a compromise, it is even lower for 6" and bigger drivers. If you are intending to use these for HT use, then I would suggest that off axis response will be more important because you are likely to have more people not in the "sweet spot".

Depending on what freq you cross to the sub you should be able to get a 5" driver to go down low enough (though power handling might admittedly be an issue)... as noodle snacks said, have a look at 6.5" or smaller drivers :)

My advice would be to check out ldsg at http://ldsg.snippets.org/index.php3 choose some 5 and 6.5" drivers find their specs and model them to see how they are likely to perform you might be surprised :)

Tony.

edit: nice work on the sub btw :)

nrgy said:

I really do like my highs, and would like some detailed clarity in the upper end. Are the tweeters enough to handle the job?

Thanks for any thoughts and more questions to come :)

Hi,

yes, this tweeter will do the job. If you want to build some tower with a 8", you should consider the following desing :

http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=New_Vifa_Tower.html

I have built it for a friend and they are very good. The mid are as good as if you were using a good 6.5". The bass is deep and clean. You can't be wrong with these tower.

Regards,

Daniel

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
wintermute said:
Depending on what freq you cross to the sub you should be able to get a 5" driver to go down low enough (though power handling might admittedly be an issue)... as noodle snacks said, have a look at 6.5" or smaller drivers

CSS WR or FR125 are worth looking at.... quite extended at the top to make doing the XO easier, and quite amazing bottom with the XBL2 tech.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.