Rocket Science - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2005, 09:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rocket Science

Watching Mythbusters (best thing on teev at the moment) attempt to make rockets to launch a chair & 'Chinese philosopher' last night, they couldn't get enough exhaust pressure; when they called in the rocket experts, pressure was increased by inserting a nozzle, in this case a simple annulus.

It occurred to me that this is part of what Karlson Wings do, increase SPL by restricting the exit area, and thought it may have other applications in audio, say restricting the front of a driver with a cone that has a slot at the exit? There’s probably a price to pay in increased distortion? (May not be great for ‘Hi Fi’, but could help the Car Audio comp nuts increase their SPL? ).
It's probably able to be modelled by fluid dynamics equations.

Pete McK
Old 4th July 2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Banned

Default Re: Rocket Science

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteMcK
It occurred to me that this is part of what Karlson Wings do, increase SPL by restricting the exit area, and thought it may have other applications in audio, say restricting the front of a driver with a cone that has a slot at the exit? There’s probably a price to pay in increased distortion? (May not be great for ‘Hi Fi’, but could help the Car Audio comp nuts increase their SPL? ).
Put your hands around your mouth and talk loud.
That's how it will sound.

Btw I saw that program. The chair blew up in pieces, it didn't go up.
It's not that easy to make a rocket, specially with a chair.
Old 4th July 2005, 09:24 PM   #3
Mr Evil is offline Mr Evil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Now that I think of it, horn speakers are rather like rocket nozzles: They have a chamber in which force is produced, then a restrive throat, then an expanding part. Hmmm... maybe looking at rocket nozzle geometries could yield ideas for novel horns.
Old 4th July 2005, 09:41 PM   #4
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Yeah..... when I start moving again with another LS, maybe it will be an Atlas.... or a Tomahawk..........
or maybe a small "quickie" called Minuteman...

Hide this!Advertise here!