Coaxial Compression driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Do someone know the BMS coaxial compression driver, like ferrit 4590 or ND 4592 or ND 4594???

Do you think it can be used from 200-300Hz region to 20KHz in something like a 150Hz tractrix horn??? Should be very interresting.

If someone did experiment something with these babies, could he share his listening impressions???

Thanks

Hugues

http://www.bmspro.info/index.php?show=item&usbid=10281&id=54370

A very interresting thread...

As I'm in the process of building a very highly efficient horn-sub (RT-2), I'm starting to see that if this build sounds nice, I'll be needing some fairly efficient side-systems to complement it.

hope someone can contribute here! :)

Hello, Do someone know the BMS coaxial compression driver, like ferrit 4590 or ND 4592 or ND 4594??? Do you think it can be used from 200-300Hz region to 20KHz in something like a 150Hz tractrix horn??? Should be very interresting.

done something similar. I have used the BMS4592nd in a tractrix horn above 300hz, and compared it to other drivers. Using that driver in a 150hz tractrix horn, to cover all up to 20khz, you will get a very compromised performance. Midrange might sound o.k., but midbass and lower midrange will sound thin , and you'll get a beamy treble. The best solution is to split this band in 3 spherical / tractrix / lecleach horns, and use one midbass horn to cover 150hz to ~ 600hz - 1000hz, a midrange horn from ~ 1000hz to ~8 - 12khz , and a horntweeter above. Each horn working in its apropriate frequency range. Time align all 3 channels and position them on axis, and use a sub below, and you'll get the finest sounding horn system .

a idea of such a design:

http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604

AV4advanced-1.jpg

Angelo

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
angeloitacare said:

Midrange might sound o.k., but midbass and lower midrange will sound thin , and you'll get a beamy treble.

Angelo

I have read that before, about crossing low at 300hz sounding thin...better cross a bit higher

I find that the big BMS 4591 could be the most interesting driver fore this, and cross it to a Fostex supertweeter
BUT the BMS rolls off very early, so that may not work as expected
I skipped that idea...and I dont really feel comfortable with those coaxes, but the big 2" 4592ND coax...maybe

Its like the thing drags you around at both ends

If all goes well I will use an 18" and a 12" in a 2.5way, crossed to a 1.4" CD around maybe 800hz, all FaitalPro, and time will tell if there will be a supertweeter as well
I havent seen that 2.5way combination anywhere, so its kind of unknown territory, but somehow makes sense to me
It may not give the most delicate sound, but all the same, im tired of that and not what Im aiming at

I have read that before, about crossing low at 300hz sounding thin...better cross a bit higher

I find that the big BMS 4591 could be the most interesting driver fore this, and cross it to a Fostex supertweeter
BUT the BMS rolls off very early, so that may not work as expected
I skipped that idea...and I dont really feel comfortable with those coaxes, but the big 2" 4592ND coax...maybe

Its like the thing drags you around at both ends

If all goes well I will use an 18" and a 12" in a 2.5way, crossed to a 1.4" CD around maybe 800hz, all FaitalPro, and time will tell if there will be a supertweeter as well
I havent seen that 2.5way combination anywhere, so its kind of unknown territory, but somehow makes sense to me
It may not give the most delicate sound, but all the same, im tired of that and not what Im aiming at

Did you build this project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.