Routing the recess?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your effort rabbitz! :)

I thinl I get the idea now. that paint... does it actually end up with a physical "feelable" texture (roughness) or does it just look like that?
Whichever way, it must be easier to hide imperfections with such a "freckled" paint. (The right thing for me ;) )
I'm beginning to think of the stone-look paint, except it's black/black in this case...

Jennice

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rabbitz said:
What Bob has done is installed the drivers on the baffle without a rebate but has made a panel with the thickness to suit the driver's faceplate, cut holes for the drivers and installed it so it looks like the speakers are rebated. Could be any material, plywood, contrasting timber veneer, painted MDF etc.

A pretty common trick... even better if you use something like wool felt. Some commercial speakers build it into the grill covers

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jennice said:
I know wool, and I know felt, but wool felt!? *puzzled* ...and on the grill!? I thought as little as possible should be between the driver and the listener...?

wool felt... thick felt made of real wool (as opposed to craft felt most often made with polyester)

felt-star-BD-pipes.jpg

The guys who are doing it with the grills typically use moulded plastic that fits over the unrecessed driver and with the grills end up giving a no-bumps front baffle.

dave

Very interesting paint! Does it come in a spray can, or how?
Any chance of finding some material information, so I would have a clue what to ask for in the local shop?

If it has a physical texture, I expect it could potentially even have a beneficial effect in breaking/diffusing sound waves, apart from looking pretty?

Jennice

Comes in a pressure pack can. The one that was used was Plasti-Kote but I don't know if it is available in Europe as Oz and the USA have heaps of utes and pickup trucks but I'm sure not so common in Europe.

The best place to try is an automotive shop that sells paint or a body repair shop.

I have no idea if the rough surface does that but think it would be unlikely as rough texture inside a port doesn't make any changes.

That was a conclusion by some Harman International guys (105th AES).

The small texture I imagine doesn't create the little vortices of enough magnitude to give any benefit like the golf ball dimples which to me only helps airflow and not I imagine wandering diffractions or reflections or whatever you want to call them. Would a "slippery" baffle make a difference? I know the B&W DM303 has dimples on the baffle (cosmetic??) but have no idea if it helps anything unlike the dimples on the port flare where it's working with air flow.

I use a B&W flowport in one of my subs and even though the dimples are only on the flare, seems to have a benefit to allow the use an undersize port without any chuffing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.