Powering two Speakers from one amplifier channel. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2005, 08:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Post Powering two Speakers from one amplifier channel.

I have a Panasonic Home Theater in a box system with very good sounding(IMO) bookshelves and worse sounding center channel.

Now,the receiver already has a function that routes the center channel data to the LEFT and RIGHT speakers.It works.

So i have center channel stuff coming out from the center channel speaker as well as LEFT and RIGHT.

I have heard that this combination may spoil the sound.Difference in phase,comb filtering.I dont know..........you tell me.

Is it possible to connect the center channel amplifier output to BOTH the LEFT and RIGHT speakers(thereby giving the power output meant for the center to the LEFT AND RIGHT) ??

All speakers are rated 6 Ohms.Is it safe to do this ?

Its a digital Panasonic amp BTW.
Old 2nd July 2005, 09:12 PM   #2
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you're thinking of doing what I think you are thinking of doing, don't do it.
Old 2nd July 2005, 09:39 PM   #3
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

What you want to do is a bad idea. However, what you can do that will give you similar functionality is to simply turn the center off on your receiver. The manual should tell you how to do it.
Old 3rd July 2005, 02:07 AM   #4
just another
diyAudio Moderator

If you parallel up the left and right speakers to the center channel you will have an impeadance of 3 ohms which the amp may not handle.... also you will be connecting 3 channels of output together, I don't know what the amp will think of this but I don't imgagine it would be good for it.

finally you will lose any stereo imaging since the left and right speakers are connected together (via the center channel amp terminals)....

since you said your amp has the ability to route center channel info to the left and right, do that and disconnect your center chanel speaker (or turn it off as Pallas said).... then start thinking about a project to make a good center channel

Tony.
Old 3rd July 2005, 04:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for the replies,everybody.I'll do as you say.Disconnect the center speaker for now and save up for a good new one.

Still,Could you please explain the side effects of bad center channel with a different driver ?

Hide this!Advertise here!