Removing dustcap from a Polypropylene driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read an earlier post about driver mods "Repairing and modifying speakers" where it was suggested that acetone/heat could be used to loosen the glue used on dustcaps. But I believe most of the references were to paper cone drivers. What about a Polyprop driver. I would imagine that too much heat would certainly be detrimental, perhaps a (hair) blowdryer max'd out - at most. Any suggestions as to whether acetone would be safe - or not? Thanx.

AJ

...or not

tested it out on a dead sud that had a polypropylene cone and the cone is discoloured where the acetone was in contact with it, not sure what other damage it does but the discolouration is a sure sine in my books that its a bad idea. mabey someone else knows diffrent though?

Owen

hi

PP adhesives are most difficult to work off - as pp is difficult to glue in the first place

check if the dustcap has been fitted with a rubber toughened adhesive or epoxy

for epoxy benzoyl acetate will be the best - you will have to apply it atleat 3 to 4 times with a couple of hours gap and wait over night for the benzene to have effect

for rubber toughened you can try the above or dexterly work it off with a slightly heated sharp object like a knife - need to mention you need to be ultra careful not to destroy the cone itself

best would be if u could practise once on another - burn out or very cheap - car audio unit or some thing similar

also keep applying pressure on the cone pressing it down from near the dustcap after you feel the dustcap is a little loose - most probably it will pop out prising its own self free with the uneven force against the glued surface from the cones face

Suranjan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.