i want to build my own loudspeaker driver. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2005, 12:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default i want to build my own loudspeaker driver.

I'm trying to find out how to build my own speakers or driver, i have been very interested in this subject for a long time, but it wasn't till my subwoofer died the other day that i decided to build my own, i'm not trying to build one to replace the one that died, but really id like to get in the business of building my own or at least get a taste of it.
i have researched this for several days but i can only get so much off of Google lol.

so if you guys could link me to a how to. or give me some advice. that would be cool.
i have researched for manufacturers of part and so far i have voice coils and magnet.
any help is appreciated.

by the way i did search and the info was limited to none. sorry if this subject has been brought up before, if that's the case just link me to it,
thanks
Old 26th June 2005, 04:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
uhhh.... why do you want to build your own drivers again?

You think it will be interesting?

well I'm sure just about all of us have thought about the same thing at one point or another... and we all learned the same as you will that making decent drivers is not a simple task.

Making a transducer is not an incredibly difficult task. It only requires a coil, a magnet, a radiating surface and some sort of suspension.

But for a good transucer you need a coil which is of a optimal diameter, number of turns, length, layers, sized wire, on a good former. You need a magnet system that has been FEA optimized for a flat BL curve. You need a cone that is as light as possible yet as stiff as possible, also the right diameter and shape. You need a suspension that has just the right amount of compliance, and a basket that will keep it sturdy. Not to mention everything must be assembled to small tolerences.

Getting all of those things out of materials that the average joe can get his or her hands on is pretty much impossible.

good luck on this mission, you shall need it
Old 26th June 2005, 01:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

@BassAwdyO:
thanks for your reply!

let me rephrase my question!

here I find my self trying to build a subwoofer or mid bass driver.
the problem is, i cant find manufacturers for all the parts.
like the basket, spider.

I'm also trying to get tips and inside info from the guys that have hands on in this matter.
that might make my journey a little smother.

if this works out for me id like to start my own little business and see what happens.

thanks in advance, again!.
Old 26th June 2005, 05:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Boricuaso,
Assembling drivers for your own use as a hobby ( ie. lose money ), is quite a bit different from turning it into a profitable self-sustaining business.
How much do you plan on investing in fixtures, tooling, test equipment, etc? Hundreds? Thousands?
How long will it take you to build each unit? Put a monetary value on your time. Multiply that figure by the hours of labor needed to produce each unit. Add to that your overhead, taxes, insurance, etc, etc. Add in a profit margin to that so the business can be self sustaining and grow. Now add the price of materials and include a markup.
Now your first shiny new driver rolls off the assembly line. Lets assume it sounds as good as any mass produced driver. Chances are you would have to charge hundreds for it.
Should I buy your driver or should I buy a Vifa at 1/5 the price? Go ahead, convince me to buy yours.

Old 26th June 2005, 09:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

well as far as how much money I'm going to have!, since I'm going back to Iraq and planing to come back, if i come back ill have any where from $15,000usd to $20,000 to start this business, asking this forum was just another part of my research "maybe not a good idea", ether way this business will be based in car audio system where power and sound quality are a must for others like me.
that money was going in to a car audio install shop, i have changed my mind.

i understand you what to spend your well earned money on a pair of vifa speakers, sure why not. as you can see in my few posts im not trying to compare my self to any well known company or to even the worst ones.

This post is to gather information from those who have done it or know how to.

this post was not meant for the ones that have nothing related to how to build a speaker or if you're going to buy my speaker when is built, so ether post some thing that i can learn from and others or just let this subject die.
Old 26th June 2005, 09:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi boricuaso,

You may find some useful information on speaker building by visiting a few small company websites and leaving questions to the owners on their forum pages.

http://www.aespeakers.com/

http://tcsounds.com/

I would probably find a manufacturer in China and evolve their designs to a higher level of performance with Faraday rings, phase plugs, woven kevlar cones, etc... All of the pieces seem available based upon the Chinese web sites, but they are driven more by simplicity and lowest cost than price/performance. I would probably build a 6.5" midrange to rival PHL and SEAs that could cover 80-3,000 Hz. Make some contacts in China and visit from Iraq before coming home.
Old 26th June 2005, 09:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

boricuaso,

Making your own subwoofer and starting a business are going to be a very different thing. If you just want to make something for yourself, I know someone with a bunch of parts you might be interested in that he would probably sell to you. And if you're interested you can e-mail me, and I'll find out more for you.

If you want to start a business, basically the only feasible way is to find a manufacturer and work out with them what you want and make a batch order. This will require considerable investment in money, time, and especially risk. I'm not trying to discourage you but I have seen a few companies/people that had a lot going for them and weren't able to make it a profitable business/hobby.

- Luke
Old 27th June 2005, 03:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry Boricuaso if I posted something you could not learn from. Obviously you've done the math already and have the know-how to run a profitable business. It was foolish of me to assume otherwise.
I was in aerospace/aircraft manufacturing for twenty years before starting up my own business in an unrelated field about six years ago now.
As for the technical aspects of building a speaker, that's not my thing. I wish you well in your new venture. Go for it.
Old 27th June 2005, 05:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

@LineSource:
i thought about that before, getting speakers from overseas, but was worried about the quality of the product and how it would compete here in the states.

@ Luke: wouldn't the manufacturer charge me more for a custom design sub, and wouldn't they sell that same design they build for me as their own.

will it be that much more expensive to have 4 to 5 different manufacturers build the parts to my specs for me to assemble.
Old 27th June 2005, 05:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

@Brushpilot:
I'm sure there is allot i can learn from you since you are currently a business owner and i just in the planing proses of starting one.
so any help from you in that field would be greatly appreciated!

Hide this!Advertise here!