Does someone know this speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know this 6.5" speaker?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The only info I have was a sticker on the magnet:

"Vision Acoustique
Ref: 40170DB
101352L 29001"

I can't find useful information on the web, so does anyone know something more about this speaker (T/S parameters) ??

Usually in french terminology DB stands for Double Bobine, dual voice coil. Since there are two pairs of input tags seems to me to be definitely the case here.
Vision acoustique is a french manufacturer of loudspeakers. they do not make their units themselves, so this is an OEM unit. Specs might be quite a bit different that the standard Audax specs.

e-side said:
But i can still use the specs on the audex site, can i.

don't have a other choice, i dont have the equipment to measure the T/S myself...

BTW, Usually OEM units are tailored for a certain internal volume the manufacturer wants to use, etc etc... Vas, Qts,... might differ significantely from the generic audax unit. And there's the added trouble of the dual voice coil for designing the x-over...

C37 said:

And there's the added trouble of the dual voice coil for designing the x-over...

The voice coils are both 4 ohm (2*4), so when i wire them in series, it won't be a problem for an 8 Ohm crossover.

At www.visionacoustique.com i saw the 'Eden II', and it looks like it's the same driver as this one...

Does audax have an emailadress? I think it's the only option cause i can't find anthing.

hi
audax is definitely out of buiseness
you can have some answers on :
http://www.audax.fr/forum/index.php3?idpage=1

http://www.e44.com/

this is a HM 170 Z 2 speaker
z stands for "aerogel"
2 is the number of voice coils

if you read 4 ohms , this is a made to order speaker, usualy they were 8 ohm.
you use the first voice coil for added bass ( or baffle diffraction compensation) through a 10 mH inductor.
then the second VC is filtred as usual with a series coil or coil/capacitor cell.
my advice is to use a simple 0,15 mH coil in series with the second VC and add a high pass filter to the tweeter.

me jumping back in again... ;)
Aerogel is a mixture of different fibres formed to a cone that was devellopped by Audax and used exclusively. I still have a pair of HM 170Z lying somewhere waiting to be used...
From the pictures I'd say it is a paper cone......

Maybe you have to find somebody to have your TSP measured...

Well from the looks of the backside of the cone, i would say it IS aerogel!
if your cone backside looks like a grey rough surface kind of felt, and when you touch it is feels stiff that's definitely aerogel.

I have suffisently dealt with such cones to know!

the dustcap is maybe Vision proprietary, usualy it came with a rubber cone or larger dustcaps.

if i have time tuesday, i'll take a few shots of paper cone and aerogel cone backsides, just to compare
then i'll probably find some audax technical sheets...

Hi e-side:
here are two shots of the back side of a paper and aerogel cone: you can see the small lines on the black paper caused by pressing the pulp
the aerogel cone, seems thicker, it is grey and rough feeling to the touch

first the paper cone:

Attachments

• aerogel-papier 001.jpg
    aerogel-papier 001.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 207
When i see this aerogel cone i think my driver has a paper cone, because the cone's back surface is smooth, and it doesn't look like the aerogel cone. But thanks a lot for the effort!

I also emailed e44, but they sent an auto-message telling me they don't accept emails at the moment, because of spam.

tsp

To measure the tsp you'll need a suitable software and a decent soundcard on your PC.
When my memory doesn't fail on me there is good freeware available, like Justmls (??) or the german Hobbybox (full demo). They measure via a mls-signal, you can even measue frequency response and such. Hobbybox also lists suitable soundcards....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.