Does someone know this speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AP170Z2 = made up audax number but the Z2 stands for aerogel cone, second unit in that series. In other words they have a Z0 but was replaced with the Z2. The two doesnt stand for duel voicecoil.

Remembering what I have read about aerogel is that it can be finished on th front surface to resemble anything it likes. So audax standard gel units all look the same on the front, a kind of grey/red/brown, but anyone elses may look completely different.

I agree with docjoe that it is an aero cone, I have several little aero drivers lying around the reverse cone looks exactly like the pictures posted here.

Hi
While working with "Audio-Referece" speakers company I had a lot of speakers to test and we had special versions made to specifications for us by Audax.

the aerogel outer face could be grey, glossy our mate, black, usually glossy, but the back face was always grey, exactly like on the 3rd picture on the first post.

thats why i was so affirmative.

I haven't any experience with aerogel, so i can take more pictures when needed.

C37 said:

BTW, Usually OEM units are tailored for a certain internal volume the manufacturer wants to use, etc etc... Vas, Qts,... might differ significantely from the generic audax unit.

But even if this driver is an aerogel, the tsp can still be different can they?

yes, different
but knowing Vision, they were familiar with 2 drivers 3 ways speakers, so yours would fit in a 25/35 litre enclosure, bass reflex loaded.
you can measure the minimum TS parameters with a simple VOM
a sinewave generator and a couple of resistors.

I dont know where you live but you could buy David Weems book
"how to design,build, and test ..."
its quite old but contains usefull tips for the beginner who cannot use sofisticated computer test gear.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-10617.html

measuring tsp

I got the material to measure the tsp, and now i have te measure the Fs. I don't have experience with this, so which type of voltage do i have to use on my multimeter, DCV or ACV ? i think it has to be ACV, but then it's very difficult to determine when the voltage becomes at a minimum level because the most low frequencies are close to 0,1

Probably it's a stupid problem, but i can't solve it :wiz:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.