So, I got the tools, now I need a project...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I received my router, rabbet bit, and fluted bit, along with a Jasper jig and a book "Workworking with the Router". I'm going to practice a few recesses and cutouts on spare MDF, and then would like to get a nice beginner project going.

So, I think I'd like to use a Morel MDT30 and a Peerless 850122. I'm choosing the Morel because everyone has praised it for how easy it is to integrate, I'm a noob, so I need this.

I chose the Peerless because it seems well suited for a small cabinet design based on size, and also seems to be easy to integrate. Again, noob factor.

I'm going to use prefab PE cabinets, because I certainly don't have the skills to do the cabinets yet. The potential room is 15x13, using a 150W Odyssey amp.

The main question is, how good is the Madisound crossover service? I was thinking of using them for the project and learning by tweaking it to suit my taste?

xyrium,

Go full range. I'm 17 and I am far from a good carpenter, but I really enjoy building enclosures. Each enclosure I build I amaze myself at how much better and easier I can do everything.

My beginner project was with the wr125s, and this weekend I just rebuilt the boxes. I think for beginners a full range project is the way to go. You can learn how to model drivers in differnt programs and design a box that is just the right size and shape to go in and with your room.
You find out how good your speakers can sound compared to much more expensive loudspeakers. For example my wr125s put my B&W602s on the book shelf as second in line for listening to much.

If your on a pretty tight budget, get the Ryobi BT3100, its what I have, and is a great table saw.

Good luck,

Josh

xyrium said:
because I certainly don't have the skills to do the cabinets yet.

edjosh23 said:

Each enclosure I build I amaze myself at how much better and easier I can do everything.

I made my first cabinet with nothing more than a saber saw and was just told about MDF two days before. It's just as josh said it gets easy. design four cabinets, go to lows or home depot buy .75"MDF "around $23" give them the specs for each side and see if you can fit all four box's on the sheet "4ft by 8ft" and have them cut it for you. make them all see what looks good, taller, wider, ported sealed. you will get good experience and you will learn more about how volume and ported vs. sealed effect the sound sounds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.