3-Way design / MTMW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I have a couple questions. I was thinking about a 3-way tower speaker with MTM on the front baffle and a Woofer on the side baffle (bottom portion of the tower). This would keep the baffle width on the front narrow and provide a wider baffle for the woofer. What considerations need to be taken into account for a setup like this? I think I have seen a project file somewhere with this setup but can't find it now, any ideas?

I am also wondering about cross-over points. I think you would want to keep the woofer X-over low so the side-firing woofer is only the less-directional bass and keep as much of the midrange on the front baffle.

The bottom of the tower will be ported, I was thinking of having a rear firing port, good? bad?

What about Woofer placement? Top (need MTM), middle or at the bottom (next to floor). The port would have to be in one of the other two locations on the rear baffle.

Since I have seen MTM projects go down as low as 60 Hz, I would want the sub to fill in 20-100 Hz ideally and have the MTM do 100 Hz -20 kHz.

69stingray said:
Hello everyone, I have a couple questions. I was thinking about a 3-way tower speaker with MTM on the front baffle and a Woofer on the side baffle (bottom portion of the tower). This would keep the baffle width on the front narrow and provide a wider baffle for the woofer. What considerations need to be taken into account for a setup like this? I think I have seen a project file somewhere with this setup but can't find it now, any ideas?

I am also wondering about cross-over points. I think you would want to keep the woofer X-over low so the side-firing woofer is only the less-directional bass and keep as much of the midrange on the front baffle.

The bottom of the tower will be ported, I was thinking of having a rear firing port, good? bad?

What about Woofer placement? Top (need MTM), middle or at the bottom (next to floor). The port would have to be in one of the other two locations on the rear baffle.

Since I have seen MTM projects go down as low as 60 Hz, I would want the sub to fill in 20-100 Hz ideally and have the MTM do 100 Hz -20 kHz.

Did you ever get an answer to this question??? I am working on a very similar design. I have one enclosure built and am still working on some of the measurements. I need to model the crossover, but am really unsure about where and what slope to cross the woofer at.

Is there any program that can model a side firing woofer...I don't think that LEAP can even do it?

G.

You're on the right track keping the woofer xo down under 100 Hz. second order or higher to keep from muddying up the mids with side firing midrange sounds from the woofer.

The wide baffle on the woofer sides won't have much impact - your baffle step will begin at the frequency corresponding to teh width of the front panel. depending on how narrow it is, you could be fully stepped by the time you get down to 100 Hz. Look for Svante's "the Edge" baffle diffraction calculator. It will also help you predict higher frequency ripples due to diffraction.

Woofer placement with <100 Hz XO probably doesn't matter much from an integration standpoint. Go low to get the floor reflection and keep weight down low and make the towers more stable.

rear ports are fine as long as there is some breathing room between the speaker and the wall.

just my pair of pennies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.