TB4D (plans of a 4'' Tangband 2way) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2005, 06:22 PM   #1
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Default TB4D (plans of a 4'' Tangband 2way)

Hello all.
Here is a new design I want to contribute. I call it TB4D (Tangband 4'' double). Its cheap and simple to make. It is rather small and 90dB sensitive.
The drivers are Tangband W4-657SC (2 per speaker) and Tangband 28-847S for tweeter. They do offer great quality at the price (139 EURO for all 6).
I kept it simple. All drivers running the centre line, tweeter in the middle. Simplest crossover possible but nothing left to chance. Very good lobe and tight 50Hz to 20kHz monitor like response. Sounds alive but never irritating. Bass is great for the size. Transients clear as a bell. 3D imaging.
Look at the cabinet photo and you will see the dimensions too. Keep in mind that the reflex slot is mirror positioned for the pair to the outside of each speaker.
It is not veneered yet but I will rather choose a dark finish to highlight the magnesium cones. I eased the reflex slot lips as well as the edges of the box face. I used wool felt pads for damping. All drivers flanges are inset.
I also designed for a listening axis higher than the tweeter centre. So if you make a stand for TB4D it will not need to be rather imposing when the axis is targeting your sitted ear hight.
I used Visaton MKP caps and a simple 1mm wire air coil. No biwiring. If you end up liking it as much as I do and want to experiment with expensive parts, I feel it will respond. There are very few crossover parts anyway.
TB4D has potential for very good systems. Just give it 2 days to break in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tb4dcab.jpg (71.3 KB, 1220 views)
Old 20th June 2005, 06:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Default crossover circuit

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tb4dx.jpg (34.1 KB, 1031 views)
Old 20th June 2005, 11:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

What XO point are you working at? I would be tempted to get the W4s to start rolling off before 7K.
Old 21st June 2005, 06:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Chief Moderator

2.5kHz
Old 21st June 2005, 08:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Default ...

If we push the cross to lets say 5kHz then the length between centres is too long. Also the mag cones will need a resonance trap. I have tried such and I prefered the 2.5kHz point for tight imaging, no mag nasties and crossover simplicity. The TB tweeter is absolutely capable since it is low Fs type and very sweet indeed.
Old 21st June 2005, 11:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, of course. I was looking at the low value of the inductor and making a comment without taking into account the reduced impedance of the paralleled drivers. Looks good to me. I've played around with the W4 and it's not bad for the price.
Old 22nd June 2005, 08:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I made a center a while ago using the same speakers. I'm going to try copying your design.

Does the port have internal dimensions?

and what are those light coloured blocks of wood in the port for?

thanks
Old 22nd June 2005, 08:27 PM   #8
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas,
seems like you like to design yourself but please have a look at this:
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/...ruenanlage.htm
Ive listened to that speaker on a recent hifi-show and can still remember the good sound although it had quite a bit of competition there. Highly recommended!

Cant find the proper link right now but Ive got the building plans as well. Theyre just 38kB so if you want them...

greets
Jens
Old 22nd June 2005, 10:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Does the port have internal dimensions?
Yes, as you can see in the photo, it has 100mm hight, 20mm width, 130mm depth. I use the cabinet wall for one side and I build the other 3 sides from same material. The colored wood bits are just a fix on an error at the exit's lips. Ignore them.

I will be happy to know what you think when you finish. Please post some photo here too.

Quote:
Ive listened to that speaker on a recent hifi-show and can still remember the good sound although it had quite a bit of competition there. Highly recommended!
Yes I am aware of those designs (I got the drivers from that shop). Knowing the tangbands there is no reason not to be good speakers too as you attest. Did you listen to both or just the floorstander?
I dont know about each designer's sense of tone though so I prefer to try my own hand normally. Please post the data to my email for evaluation. You are very kind.
Old 22nd June 2005, 10:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Default left speaker mirrored port

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002sm.jpg (87.8 KB, 820 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!